Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

crashing, freezing...help

• Please log in to reply

jones082

jones082

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
My computer started occasionally freezing and randomly shutting down. Sometimes it gives one repeated long beep when it shuts down or when I try to hardboot and re-start. Computer is about 3-4 years old, Windows XP media. I've never had this problem before. I'd appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Could we have a bit more info please? i.e the make & model of the computer if it's a branded system, or the make/model of motherboard if possible, along with the cpu, ram , video , drives etc

If you don't know this information, try running Aida32 to see if you can retreive it from there:

http://www.majorgeek...ownload181.html

When you run aida32, in the left hand pane, expand the branch called 'Motherboard' - you should find motherboard & cpu info under there, and RAM info in the SPD section.

Whilst you have aida32 open, also check the 'Computer' ->'Sensor' section to see if it gives your cpu temperature. If it does, make a note of this as well and check it a second time after putting the system under load.

Next, in XP, can you go to Administrative Tools & select Event Viewer. Have a look in all 3 sections to see if there are any errors listed that coincide with the last time your system locked up or crashed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Repeated Long Beeps is usually a Memory Error...
try running memtest 86+
get memtest 86+ here ...this will test your memory...
get the second one down
let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get any errors then the ram is bad and will have to be replaced...no errors after 2 hours...it will run until you press the escape key then its probably good and we can try other things..

the how to is here...

Edited by happyrck, 18 December 2007 - 06:34 PM.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Thanks for the quick reply...I've switched to Netscape Navigator, and so far I haven't crashed.

Here's the info:

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 11/25/2003-Springdale-G-6A79AM4DC-00
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6747 (Medion OEM)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 160 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 320 MHz
Bandwidth 5120 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.t...ro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.t...pt_bos_list.php

CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4HT, 3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
CPU Alias Northwood HyperThreading
CPU Stepping D1
Original Clock 3000 MHz
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU
Motherboard ID OEM00000 PROD00000000
CPU #0 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2992 MHz
CPU #1 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2992 MHz

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 478 Pin uPGA
Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm
Transistors 55 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, Low-K
Die Size 131 mm2
Core Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
I/O Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
Typical Power 38.7 - 82 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 49 - 103 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com...e/processor.htm

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 0 %
CPU #2 5 %

Memory Module Properties
Module Name Samsung M3 68L3223FTN-CB3
Serial Number 420D5367h
Manufacture Date Week 16 / 2004
Module Size 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC2700 (166 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (6.0 ns @ 166 MHz)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Samsung
Product Information http://www.samsung.c.../DRAM/index.htm

The temp seems to stay around 42 degrees centigrade.

The event log: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: kl1
The Winbond Generic USB Controller service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, thanks for that. Your cpu temps seem fine so we can probably rule that out as the cause.

Does there seem to be any pattern at all to the crashes? E.G do they happen while using a certain type of application (such as games, web browsing etc), or while using a specific program, such as I.E?

Have you installed any new software or hardware just prior to this problems starting?

Have you updated your antivirus software and run a full scan? I also strongly advise you download, update and run a full scan with something like Spybot as well, if you haven't already done so. You can get Spybot SD from here:

http://www.safer-net...g/en/index.html

Do you have a firewall installed? If so, which one?

Can you also go to Start -> Run -> type devmgmt.msc [click OK]
In device manager, look for any problem devices i.e ones with yellow (!) signs on them.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I recently switched to ZoneAlarm--then got rid of it because I was suspicious of the crashing. I went back to Windows Firewall.

I do regularly use and update Spybot and AVG virus and AVG anti spyware.

I recently received updates for IE and it does seem like I subsequently began to crash.

It seems to be more stable since I dumped ZoneAlarm and switched to using Netscape browser.

No yellow signs in device manager, however, I cannot get my Rio MP3 player to use either of the front USB ports...I have to fumble for the back of my tower.

And what about:

The event log: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: kl1
The Winbond Generic USB Controller service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

And, Happyrck, thank you also. If it is still important I will try what you suggested when I have some more time.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

The driver listed in event viwer (kl1) is a Kapersky A/V driver I believe, although I'm not certain what the connection is between this & a USB controller. Are they two seperate events in event viewer?

Can you download & run winaudit please?

http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

When winaudit has finished compiling the report, save it as an 'HTML only' file. Then email the report to me as an attachment - NB the report comprises of 3 files in total. For example, if you saved the report as myreport.html, then the 3 files you need to email to me will be:
myreport.html
myreport_left.html
myreport_right.html

Also, could you try booting up in safe mode (select the Safe mode with networking option to allow for Internet access). Let me know if that makes any difference to the problem of your system crashing. If it doesn't, then try booting up in safe mode (without networking) and see if that helps at all.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Just confirming receipt of the files.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Thanks for the report etc. I've only had time to skim over it quickly so far, I'll have a better look at again in a day or so. For now, I can't see any obvious problems. The fact that you haven't had the problem since using Netscape indicates that it may well be connected to the IE update, as you already suggested. You could try system restore if you want, and restore it to a time before the IE update as this may solve the problem.

Like I said, I'll get back to you again in a day or two (going to be away from home now until Monday). In the meantime, keep using Netscape!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi again

Hows your computer been the last few days?

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
It's been ok, thanks. I'm still getting those two errors in my error log but so far it hasn't been crashing. Still mostly using Netscape...occasionally Explorer for short periods. If you didn't see anything weird in my files I guess I'll just hope for the best.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, glad to hear it.

You should be able to get rid of the kl1 error easily enough by following these steps :

(NB you may want to create a system restore point first, just in case)

1. Go to Start -> Run and type cmd

2. In the DOS window, type the following, pressing ENTER after each line:
SC Stop KLIF
SC Delete KLIF
SC Stop kl1
SC Delete kl1

3. Close the DOS window & reboot the system

With any luck, the kl1 errors should no longer appear after this point.