Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer is experiencing mass failure(?)

• Please log in to reply

Stripes

Stripes

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm not sure what my problem is, so I'm not sure what section to post my problem in. Recently my computer stopped starting as normal (running Windows XP). Instead, it started at a black screen with white writing. The screen listed primary and secondary (If it's called secondary) drivers and slaves. At the bottom it says to hit F1 to continue, and gives another button to take you to some other options. Hitting F1 takes me to another black screen that displays a bit more information.

At first I could just press F1 and skip this stage, and the computer would start thereafter as normal. As of this morning, when I reached the point where I would normally log onto my account, the cursor had stopped moving. I played with the plug for the mouse with no luck, restarted the computer, nothing worked. What finally got me results was pulling the power cord to the computer, and plugging it back in. When the computer restarted this way, I went through the same process but the cursor would move again.

So I tried to log onto my account and it kept telling me the password was wrong. After two tries I noticed that whenever I entered a keystroke, the computer would enter two of whatever I hit. So everything I typed was coming out like ppaasswwoorrdd. I had to manually delete every other letter, and logged in. The problem persisted. I took pictures of the black screens to show the people on this site, but had no luck transferring them anywhere I could use them, so I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about.

A number of other things have gone wrong. After being logged in for some time my letters will turn to all caps, and shortly after the computer stops entering what I type. Any link I click opens a new window.

Before my computer died completely I did AVG and Ad Aware scans with no results. I was really hoping it was a virus. Now I'm just lost. I'm not sure what information is helpful, but the black screen said something about Floppy Drive Failed (80) or something similar. Perhaps that's what started the messages.

If you need more information, lead me in the right direction and I'll try and tell you what I can. I appreciate any help.

Edited by Stripes, 18 December 2007 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please try to clear the BIOS and let us know if it made any difference:

Clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other notification. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter SETUP.

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I asked a friend at work about this also, and he suggested my keyboard might have a frayed wire or something. I had a USB keyboard in the closet, so I tried it as soon as I got home. I also have a USB mouse, and I think I may be lucky for those two things. My mouse was connected to the normal mouse slot with an adapter. When I removed the adapter and plugged it directly into a USB slot, it worked fine, and I could move my cursor. When I plugged the USB keyboard into the USB slot, that also worked. So I'm afraid this may be a hardware issue, where something has gone wrong with the purple and green slots, because as soon as I used different slots for these two devices the problems disappeared.

So my computer in functional now, and down 2 USB slots. Please follow up with your thoughts or concerns, and how you'd like me to proceed.

Edited by Stripes, 19 December 2007 - 12:57 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's exactly what I wanted to suggest as a second step, replace the keyboard and mouse to USB type. It's possible that something is wrong with the ps2 connectors but, at the same time, it could one of the ps2 devices (keyboard or mouse). If the computer works well with USB devices why not leave it like that?

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
The compter seems to have died on me. I picked up another compter, but now I can't connect to the internet. I probably shouldn't discuss that here though. Thank you for your help.