Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building a New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Bonesmasta

Bonesmasta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am in the process of building a new computer from parts, and everything was going swimmingly until I hit a snag.

Here are the parts involved so far:
Rosewill 450W power supply, came with the case by the same company
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 GF6100 AM2
RAM: 2 gig of Corsair
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2
Video Card: Chaintech GeForce 8600GT

I hooked all that up, slapped it in the case, turned on the power and got a lovely message on my monitor telling me to give ti something to boot from. Hooray!

After that, I grabbed an CD/DVD RW drive from an old computer and slid that in, and a Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drive. I hooked all that up, turned on the power, and it gave a fizzle-noise. A fan starts to try to spin, but gives up. I tried uninstalling the HD and optical drive, but it still won't start. Can anyone give me some advice, or perhaps point me to something that will help clear some of this up? Thanks

Advertisements

kenichi_kun

kenichi_kun

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sounds like your psu gave up, I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the psu. So if you have access to another psu, switch the old one out with that one and see if that helps, if not then it could be something else. Good luck.