Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random crashes

• Please log in to reply

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I built a new pc. Evga 680i A1 motherboard, 2 gigs of Kingston DDR2 9600 memory, Nvidia 8800GTS video card and SATA DVD/DVD burner and Floppy drive. SATA single 320 Gig hard drive and a 500 Watt power supply, E6850 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHZ processor.

I set the memory to timings of 5-5-5-15 at 1.8v (can go a maximum of 3.2-3.25 volts... or is it 3.3 - 3.35) something like that.

The computer has windows vista business 32bit edition.
It works fine. All programs work
It seems like every week, it will just begin randomly freezing in windows. (everything just locks up solid). This forces me to hold the power button to turn it off.

Once I reboot, go into the bios, change a configuration, reboot, it will work fine for another week... and then it'll just randomly start crashing/freezing again.

I looked in the event view for system errors.
I found this one

Log Name: System
Source: ACPI
Date: 12/1/2007 3:46:28 PM
Event ID: 6
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Raptor
Description:
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 3, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
Event Xml:

The funny thing is.... I only have a video card that uses a slot. Everything else (sound, nics, so forth are embedded).
And the video card is in PCI BUS 1

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Can you run memtest for a couple of hours and see if it pops any errors?

Soorena

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, downloaded the microsoft memory diagnostic program and ran it. It failed some of the tests. So.. does this mean that the memory is bad, or does it mean I should just choose a different memory brand?
The memory I bought is the Kingston 2Gigs Dual channel HyperX memory kit (DDR2-9600 ... 1200mhz speed).

Hopefully I didn't screw myself.. because I spent like $200 on that kit... and if its not compatible, not like I can return it (they'll just give you a new pair).... and for Christmas my mom bought me another Kit of it (so I'll have 4 gigs... be a good gaming pc).. so... this isn't looking good.

What do you recomend I do? (worried now.. i don't wanna eat 400 dollars).

Edited by fear187, 19 December 2007 - 04:08 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi, firstly you dont want to run your ram at more than 2.2v for 24/7 or more than 2.5v for benchmarking without proper cooling.. let alone 3.2vdimm. it will kill your ram for sure!

secondly, if your ram failed memtest86 at stock speed and stock voltage, just return the ram for RMA. the ram indeed faulty :) just stated that the ram failed memtest86 and their techies will test it and replace it with new one :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Hi, firstly you dont want to run your ram at more than 2.2v for 24/7 or more than 2.5v for benchmarking without proper cooling

This depends on the RAM, I have warranty up to 2.2V on my RAM and it runs fine without memory cooling.

Can you give me a link to the RAM your using.
Also, what PSU are you using. Poor PSU's are known to kill RAM and/or create errors within the RAM moduals, if the PSU has ripple issues.
James

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I will give that a try (running it over night). Right now I have the memory set at 2.30 volts and its running fine (no errors popping up within the first two passes like before). (the hyperx memory ddr2 9600 is suppose to work from 2.3-2.35 volts). (so I guess I had the voltage set lower then it should've been).

I'm using a 500w Silverstone power supply.

I'm still curious though about the IRQ thing..... why would it say that when there is no device used in PCI 3? .. what would be causing that?

Edited by fear187, 20 December 2007 - 04:06 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
oh.. so just run the ram as per instruction (2.3-2.4vdimm), my apologies for overlooked the fact that you are using Kingston HyperX..