Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp will not update and cd-rom will not read disks

• Please log in to reply

LATIN

LATIN

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok heres the problem ive already been to the malware section of this forum and was directed here for the other issues i have with this laptop its a toshiba Satellite A45-S151 it has windows xp home edition

Problems:

1. can not update windows example: IE7,Windows Media player 11 and other updates

2. the Cd-rom does not show up on this list of drives in My Computer folder or any where else also on the malware section of this forum there found some bad sectors on the pc

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello LATIN...

Let's take these issues on one at a time...starting with the optical drive problem.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
yes they are listed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Save this to your desktop and name it filters.

Right click on LowerFilters and choose Delete...accept the change. Do the same for UpperFilters. Close Registry Editor.

Reboot and see if your drive shows up in My Computer and works properly.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
they did not show up its still

hard disk c
shared documents
casandra documents
my sharing folders

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look in Registry Editor for me to see that the filters have not been reset.

Do you have any registry monitoring applications installed? Like TeaTimer...something on that order?

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
this laptop has

avast! antivirus
comodo firewall pro
S&D 1.5
XoftspySe
Ad-Aware se
avg antispyware

to my knowledge i don't have the teatimer on

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
TeaTimer comes with Spybot S&D. Have a look in Add or Remove Programs and see if it was installed when you installed Spybot...if it's there, uninstall it. (Just TeaTimer)

Were the filters reset?

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i dont see teatimer in the add and remove and no the filters were not reset

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Expand DVD/DC-ROM drives. Are your drives listed there?

Advertisements

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well for one it dont show DVD/DC-ROM drives in that area

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have your XP installation cd?

Is your machine running ok or is it really slow at loading applications and booting?

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
at the begining there is an error ide error 1 it wont read disks any disks ive tried to wipe it clean i insert the disk and it looks like its reading it but it just doesnt come up the light flashes like when you get a disk read but then stops no its not slow any more since ive been to the malware forum i do think the os is currupted but thats what i think

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The IDE error troubles me a bit. When you were in Device Manager, did you notice any yellow ! or ? icons displayed next to any devices?

Let's run a script and see what happens. Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click on it and choose "Extract All"...extract it to your desktop. Double click on the extracted file to run it and accept and prompts you receive. Reboot and see if the drives reappear.

Attached File  cdgone.zip   295bytes   154 downloads

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
only ones that have ! next to it are these in non plus and play drivers these were the ones DV 5300(Video),NAVAPEL and Serial