Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp will not update and cd-rom will not read disks

• Please log in to reply

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
no nothing apreared no drive

Advertisements

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i looked in the script you zipped up and looked saw the info and looked in the registry and couldnt find anything of that sort i did a find and it didnt find anything

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager again and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on Primary IDE channel and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change.

Reboot. Is the drive reinstalled on reboot and show up in My Computer? More importantly, if it does install and detect, does it then disappear when you reboot again?

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok i didnt see an IDE error no more on start up of the laptop when it rebooted again only thing i see is c drive in my computer folder

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm running out of ideas on this one, but I think we've got it narrowed down to one of three things...a bad drive, bad drivers, or a master/slave select problem.

Try installing the drivers for the drive first. They can be found Here.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well i got the IDE error again installed the drives again and nothing

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me research the drive issue a little more. The fix for the master/slave select problem (which I suspect at this point) is a bit involved. I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Let's move to the update problem for a bit.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok". This will open a command session. At the prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each. (Note the spaces)

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll <-------you may or may not be successful with this one...just continue on
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
exit

Reboot and try to update.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are Automatic Updates failing, too?

Have you run the Disk Cleanup and Defragged?

If you are failing the validation, you may have to place a call to Microsoft...they're usually pretty good about helping with that one.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
no i havent ran a defrag yet or disk clean up and i dont know about the auto updating i havent seen the update icon come up inn the bottom right conner but ill run a defrag on it right now

Edited by LATIN, 18 December 2007 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
the validation part looks like its working cause i tried downloading the Update for Windows XP (KB898461) and it asked me to validate it before it alowed me to download that install for that update and it passed cause i was able to download it but i was not able to install it i got an error when trying to install that one update when i was in the malware section sari asked me to do a scan with dss.exe it fown some ban sectors could that be the problem?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You never have said whether you have your installation cd or not. It would be pretty handy about now.

Click Start, then Run, select cmd from the drop-down menu and click "Ok". A command session will open. At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) You will be told the drive is busy and asked if you want to run this on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". Type exit and press "Enter". Reboot.

This will start a very thorough check of the HDD and file system...let it finish. It may appear to hang or even to back up a few times...this is normal. Once it finishes, it should boot into Windows.

It would be best to run this from cd as it would tell you if it found any bad sectors on the drive when it finished instead of booting directly to windows. If you have the cd, let me know and I'll provide instructions on how to run this from the cd.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
only cd i have is a copy i downloaded from online and i burned it onto a dvd cause my cousin lost hers disks that is why i was trying to get the cd-rom to work again she has a real product code its under her laptop and like i said the laptop wont read the cd's or dvd's so do you still want me to do the chkdsk /r ? thank you for all your help you are doing

Edited by LATIN, 19 December 2007 - 06:00 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok did the chkdsk /r followed the directions you posted only thing was it didnt take to long almost like it didnt do the check there was an instance of writing but that only lasted about 15 sec. this was before the windows blue logo screen popped up