Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe mode/Normal Mode Window at Boot up

• Please log in to reply

Elysia

Elysia

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
When I boot my computer, before going to the normal Windows screen, it brings me to a menu. It asks whether I would like to boot normal or in safe mode. It doesn't seem like a problem, but is there anyways I can turn that off? My computer is completely clean of Malware, but I think it's something that got tweaked in all the mess. Thanks :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Press Window Key + R to bring up the Run dialog. Type msconfig and press Enter. Click on the boot.ini tab and see if the Safeboot box is checked. If yes, uncheck it.

Elysia

Elysia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Nope, It's unchecked. So, is there any other reason?

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
can you post what is in boot.ini???

Elysia

Elysia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I don't know how to do that, although when I check all boot paths, it says "It appears that following line Boot.ini file does not refer to a valid operating system: "C:\CMDCONS\bootsect.dat"microsoft windows recovery console" /cmdcons" Would you like to remove the boot.ini file? "

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
hmmmm.... look go to "control panel" ==> "system" ==> "Advanced" ==> in the section "Startup and Recovery" choose "setting" then edit copy and paste here what you find

Elysia

Elysia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons refers to the XP Recovery Console which you can install on your hard drive (I have it on mine). Does it appear as a choice when you boot up, by that I mean do you get a selection screen where you have to pick the OS you want to boot? If not then it's not installed and you should remove it from boot.ini as suggested.

Your boot.ini indicates you are booting from the 3rd partition on the hard drive. What are the other partitions used for? Is your boot drive C:?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, the partition(2) indicates that there is a hidden partition (recovery files) ahead of the root partition and is normal for OEM machines like Dell and HP, etc...

If the aim here is to eliminate the boot time prompt, remove the bottom line (C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons) from the boot.ini, click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini and reboot....the prompt should not appear.

Elysia

Elysia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thank you Wannabe1, It got rid of that screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
SUPERIOR and Ztruker deserve the credit....I just added a bit of information to make it easier to understand.

Glad we were able to help. :)

Elysia

Elysia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks to everyone that helped