Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple User Accounts on XP, do I scan them all?

• Please log in to reply

GreenGambler

GreenGambler

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I tried to post this question on the Maleware section but I could not post, probably 'cause I am new.

I have 4 user accounts set up on my PC. I am wondering if I need to scan all users or just the main "admin" account?

I know that when one becomes infected or I start to get alot of popups I can start a new user and it will not have the problem.

thanks,
GG

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
By scan, do you mean a anti-virus scan? If so, it scans files on the hard drive and does not care about accounts, so one scan is good for all.

GreenGambler

GreenGambler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep, that's what I was reffering to. Thanks for your respones :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

By scan, do you mean a anti-virus scan? If so, it scans files on the hard drive and does not care about accounts, so one scan is good for all.

don't quote me on this..but if the AV is running as a limited user it won't actually scan EVERYTHING...as the program will have the same access as the user running the scan....i think it's best practice to do all your scans as admin when possible

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I didn't think you could install an AV program from a limited account as it requires access to Administrator level resources to put it's hooks into the system.

I've never tried it though, would be an interesting experiment. Maybe I'll give it shot some time soon.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
like i said..don't quote me...i could be wrong..

you can't install it as a limited user but you can run them as such.....i wonder if the program retains the highest privelages once it's done? i guess it depends on the AV? i know alot of them install as a service that runs as the account that installed it....so...i dunno

maybe i just run them as admin to be safe?