Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems w/ Router. Help appreciated

• Please log in to reply

almatic

almatic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I seem to be having a strange problem with my D-Link Wireless G Router...
It is hardwired to both my PC & XBox 360, and occasionally a laptop wirelessly.

The problem is as follows:
Every time my home phone rings, the router seems to disconnect, whether I'm on my PC or Xbox.
On my PC it alerts me "The network cable is unplugged".

I get reconnected right away, but I'm just wondering if there's any way to solve this problem as it is reoccuring & it makes online gaming a hassle, always being disconnected from a game.

Thx in advance for your help & time =)

Edited by almatic, 18 December 2007 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I guess the obvious first question is if your telephone is a wireless phone? If so, there is the possibility that the frequency is close enough to disrupt the wireless routers signal.

almatic

almatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but the router is connected to both the 360 & the PC by ethernet cables, so I don't think the problem is frequency.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It could very well be the phone, if you unplug your wireless phones and use a wired phone do you have the problem? The thing is that if your wireless phone is running at 2.4ghz and your running 802.11b or 802.11g (both use the 2.4ghz frequency), then you could be freaking your router, which could cause problems with the router even if it's not running wireless. The best way around this is to just get some wireless phones that use the 5ghz frequency. That's what I did.

But, I have to agree with thenotch on this one, i think it's interference.

almatic

almatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will try this out tommorrow evening. Thanks for the quick replies!

Biiru

Biiru

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry to interrupt the thread but are you using DSL? Did you place filters on all your phone lines? Incoming phone calls could interupt your DSL service if all phone lines are not filtered.

Biiru

almatic

almatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am using Rogers Cable internet.

Biiru

Biiru

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm not familiar with Rogers. I looked them up and they service Canada right? I didn't see any offers for DSL from them. What type of cable modem do you have? Are you using thier portable wireless package?

almatic

almatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope just their normal home cable internet service.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
almatic, did you get this issue resolved?