Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dvd won`t read disk

• Please log in to reply

mechanic

mechanic

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Can anyone help with the problem i have with my Acer 7520 Laptop?I switched on the laptop and was prompted to insert a disc as the machine wanted to run a backup.I have done a backup before and it asked me to insert the previous disc which i did.The machine makes various "buzzing" noises as if reading the disc but eventually tells me there is no disc. It also asks me to insert a new disc if you do not want to write to the disc previously used. I tried this also but it said there was no disc. I have also tried a dvd movie but it won`t read this either.The laptop has Vista Home Premium pre-installed and is also still in warranty but don`t want to return it just yet as the usual Christmas post situation is terrible and it might be something very simple?I have some knowledge of computers (not vast!)and had a look in device manager and there did not seem to be any problem.Only thing i saw was that the DvD had not been set for any specific country and i assumed it was left this way so it would be able to accept any region?.Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unless there is a connection problem it is most likely that the drive has died. I have found very few that had software problems ( other than trying to run the newest version of WMP on a XP laptop). Some that have removable disk drives can get to where the connectors are not getting good contact which can cause the problem. Most just have the disk drives just fail. They are rather fragile the way they are built.

SRX660

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
SRX660 Thanks for your reply. I will phone Acer and see what they say as its still under warranty. I just dislike being left hanging on the telephone listening to music i would rather avoid and paying them a fortune for them to tell me (eventually) to return the product to them. At my expense of course!! But thanks again.