Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increase the Space of C drive

• Please log in to reply

blrjohn07

blrjohn07

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
friends,

Can anybody help me about how to increase the space of C drive without losing any data ?????

Waiting for prompt replies

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your "C" drive is full and you just need to find more room, i would buy a second hard drive and use it for a data drive.

If you only want to increase the space and can only have one hard drive in the computer, i would purchase Paragon Drive Copy 8.51 and a larger hard drive. Use the Drive Copy software to copy the complete Operating System with all programs from the small drive to the large drive and then swap in the larger drive. I have done this with a dozen computers with no problems at all. Only thing i found that is disserting is the first boot up of the larger drive can get error messages. After the first boot it does not happen again. This may be just a problem with Drive Copy 8 because that is the version i use.

If you only want more space in the drive you have in the computer, Since windows 98 there has beena drive space utility that can compress files into smaller sizes. I find this really does not give you a lot of space and on most computers it slows them down somewhat.

http://www.smartcomp...08l11/08l11.asp

Make your choice you want, but i find adding a second hard drive the easist method.

SRX660

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
There is no real way to "Increase" the size you can just free up more space.

I recommend that if you just want one drive do what SRX660 says.

Otherwise just get a new hard drive since its the simplest and easiest to do.

blrjohn07

blrjohn07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks you guys.....I will let u know what i m gonna do...

Many thanks again

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Have you tried using the Disk De-fragmenter? That can sometimes give you a few free KB :)

Nah, I joke.

But, you could try the Dick Cleanup tool, you may have a lot of space wasted.

These options will only free a small amount of your drive, so will only work as a temporary measure.

Edited by tiroshii, 20 December 2007 - 01:28 PM.