Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-R/RW does not see blank DVD discs

• Please log in to reply

alty02

alty02

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
My DVD-RW drive does not recognize when a blank DVD disc is inserted and therefore I cannot backup my photo files to DVD now. The drive reads data saved on other DVDs and also can play movie DVDs as well. But whenever a blank DVD (-R or +R) is inserted, Windows Explorer changes to display it as a "CD drive" instead of "DVD-RW Drive". Is it time for a new DVD drive or is this a common issue that has a fix?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Writing laser's probably dead. Far easier and cheaper just to replace the drive.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
This might sound weird solution but I strongly suggest you change your SATA/IDE cable first. Try to use another that does not bundled with the DVD-RW.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

This might sound weird solution but I strongly suggest you change your SATA/IDE cable first. Try to use another that does not bundled with the DVD-RW.

Since the user has had the drive for a period of time, a defective cable won't be the issue, unless it has recently been moved and bent harshly.
I suggest following Neil's advice.
James

alty02

alty02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
The drive hasn't been moved since it was installed, so I figured it was probably time for replacement. Thanks for the help!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
While cables do go bad, lasers tend to die a few times over long before the cable used to transfer data shows signs of giving up. An IDE/SATA cable, if properly looked after, will probably outlive the rest of the system.