Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Second 7600gt or 8 series video card?

• Please log in to reply

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I was wondering what would be better since 7600gt is a bit outdated(but still fairly good)

Get a second 7600gt, a 8600/8800 or wait till 9600gt?

I am not planning to get vista anytime soon but i wanna play crysis at higher settings(and UT3 at max settings without getting my computer too hot[i can play it already but it will crash sometimes]), I also wanna be able to overclock fairly(i got a zerotherm gx815 cooler since my 7600 was running at 80c on load)

And since i dont feel like starting a new thread just for this, every time i try to overclock my cpu, even by 5mhz, the computer wont boot, does my mobo just suck at overclocking or is it my proc?

Asus A8N sli-deluxe
Amd Athlon 64 x2 4200+ dual core running at stock speed(2.2ghz per core)

Advertisements

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
One thing you should be aware of is that at the moment, SLI only gives you 20% performance increase depending on the card. So, assuming you have two 16x slots, you would get an extra 20% out of you already outdated video card, which will cost what, $100? The only SLI I would recommend is 8800 series, because those are the only cards that I think are worth doubling up. I just did some research on your motherboard, and from what I can tell this motherboard would be almost useless for SLI, because it just splits the speeds of the expansion slots to 8x a piece, as opposed to 16x for both, which is the optimum setting for SLI. SLI would be a waste with this motherboard and card, as a matter of fact I doubt you would see much, if any, performance increase.

Edited by gambLe1109, 19 December 2007 - 02:59 PM.

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Actually a 7600gt would be about $70, but thanks for your info.

Guess i'll just save up for an 8800.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Having SLI at 8x both or 16x both doesn't affect the performance much, its the GPUs processor power that matters.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Having SLI at 8x both or 16x both doesn't affect the performance much, its the GPUs processor power that matters.

Soorena

That would depend on the card, 8800GTX, 8800GTS, 8800Ultra, HD2900XT, HD3870 and HD2900pro would all likely be bottlenecked by a x8 slot. How much of a bottleneck it would become would depend on the task.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 December 2007 - 01:53 PM.