Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

cheapest way to build a computer?

• Please log in to reply

maths and music madness

maths and music madness

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I dont know much about building a computer, but I want to know as I am quite interested in learning. All the websites I've looked at about building a computer seem to say that it is very expensive :) How cheap can you build a computer, aproximately?????? and how can I build it??? or where is the best place to look for information?????? :)

Similar Topics: cheapest way to build a computer?     x

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Welcome maths and music madness to Geeks to Go and the world of computer building.

Now how much the computer costs depends on what you need, what you buy and your budget, you could build a computer for $4000 or you could build one for $400.

As for the best place to look, there are many sites but a forum like this is best since you can get personal help which is always better(in my opinion)

Since i built my own computer and it worked out nicely i think i can help, atleast for now.

Lets start first on your budget, how much are you willing to spend on building a computer?

Edited by zoneykid, 19 December 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I dont know much about building a computer, but I want to know as I am quite interested in learning. All the websites I've looked at about building a computer seem to say that it is very expensive :) How cheap can you build a computer, aproximately?????? and how can I build it??? or where is the best place to look for information?????? :)

Buying the cheapest bits you can find is the way to go. It's as simple as that.
Depending on the computer you're upgrading, you may be able to sell the old bits on eBay to put the funds towards the cost of the new one. This one I have now (which I'm upgrading again after Christmas) technically only cost me £80. I was lucky and managed to make £120 flogging the old bits on eBay and other ventures.

But having said that, buying the cheapest compatible bits you can find will mean that you'll have a computer that works but it may not do what you want to do with it. You can get the base units for under £200 if you shop about, but a far better approach would be to decide what you want to do with the computer (primary use and secondary use) and then decide how much you want to spend.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
TR has some good stuff:
For an Idea of what kind of parts you want: http://techreport.com/articles.x/13660
If you want to put it together yourself: http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671

Get yourself familiar and comfortable with these articles.

PS: Budget? Uses for the PC? (Are you gaming, using CAD programs, downloading lots of music, browsing the internet?)

If you are just going to use in for the internet and basic tasks then you only need to spend ~$500 = ~£250 (1 UK£ = 2.017 U.S. dollars)
PC that can game pretty good ~$1,000 = ~£500
PC that will last you longer and can play games on high ~$1,500 = ~£750
PC that is top of the line but not completely overkill (Will last you the longest amount of time but people who get these PCs often do not keep them very long because they must the newest thing out there) ~$2,000/2,500 = ~£1,000/1,250

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 December 2007 - 07:10 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just a little note here. Many years ago i was getting interested in computers when i bought a Packard Bell legend computer. Since i am mechanical by nature i wanted to see how it worked. The problem was that i spent $1800 for the computer so i did not want to damage it.

My fix for this "dig in and tear it apart" syndrome i have was to go to a local county auction where they were selling off all their old computers. I bought a Pallet load of Compaq low profile desktop computers for $100. There were 19 computers in the pallet, a few monitors, plenty of keyboards and mouses, and even some speakers, and i had great fun taking them apart, putting them back together, and trying to fix what was wrong with them. I ended up making a profit off them by selling 3 of them to people for around $70 each. Now this was when a big hard drive was 2 gigabytes and PC memory topped out at 32 MB of PC66 memory. I learned you could have 3 hard drives in a single computer on 2 IDE channels.

Its just a suggestion to maybe look for deals like this so you can familarize yourself with components. It was probably the best experience i could have ever had at the time. Only problem nowadays is city's and county's want to charge you to get rid of computer equipment nowadays. so be careful about getting too many monitors. They charge $15 to get rid of just one where i live now.

SRX660

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured