Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Lockup

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you follow my instructions on post 11, we could find out.
If you want to donate money to the forums, click here.
Let me know how it goes.

Also, I believe EVGA is recalling these cards if they cannot play at the "stock" timings. If it bothers you, I suggest contacting EVGA and you might get a card that will play at the clocks they said it would play at. In all fairness though, these cards are plagued with over heating problems and you'll likely to get another card with the same problem. A permanent solution would be to replace the stock heatsink, but this will void your warranty, as stated above.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 December 2007 - 01:25 AM.

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
good to hear your problem solved muffins and credit to james_8970 :)

if that the case, then you might want to RMA the vga card,

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

good to hear your problem solved muffins

We don't know that for sure or not yet. The GPU stress tester should tell us if the issue has been fixed or not.

James

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
So I'm about to update my cards bios (from EVGA's website) and was wondering if it'd be best to use NVIDIA's lastest drivers (19th) or EVGA's (13th)

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Gah! World of Warcraft crashed again, albeit it took longer to do so. (30 mins)

Do I have a bad card?

I know this may be annoying too, but are you 100% positive that my PSU is enough? I've been getting a lot of people telling me that its not. http://educations.ne...calc/index.html This says I need at least 620w

Edited by muffins, 20 December 2007 - 10:02 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If the PSU was the culprit you would be experiencing artifacts. Yes that PSU is enough, don't trust those calculators, I can calculate it in my head more accurately.
Now can you follow my past instructions? I still think you need a aftermarket cooler for that card. Try playing a game with the side off your computer case. Can you improve your case airflow by any chance?
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 December 2007 - 01:37 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi, if the temperature problem is the case, and you probably has bad airflow in your casing, you might wanted to try remove the side panel of your casing and blow it with table fan. Then try to play games with it.

Please note that blowing with table fan is not recommended for daily usage, this is just for testing wether the temperature and bad airflow are the culprits. :)

One quick question, is your computer in air-conditioned room? if yes (ambient <18C) you dont need to blow with table fan. :)

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I did the test with the case side off and the fan on (fan not pointed at the comp since its far away, just circulation - room is small)

I made a video documentation of it. About 3 mins long or http://www.veoh.com/...16778072MdgRhaM

If you can't watch it there you can download it directly from http://www.cttv.us/videos/g.avi (encoded w/ xvid)

One quick question, is your computer in air-conditioned room? if yes (ambient <18C) you dont need to blow with table fan. :)

No its not. Its winter so its freezing cold here anyway.

Edited by muffins, 20 December 2007 - 06:30 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

Your GPU is known to over heat and I believe this is your issue. What I want you to do is the following:

• Download rthdribl
  • Unzip the program
  • Open the program
  • Press 8
  • Click file
  • Click Configure
  • Click the tab beside wide screen
  • Next set your resolution to your monitors native resolution
  • Press OK
  • Let this program run for 15-30 minutes, the longer the better.
  • To exit the program press Atl+Enter
  • Immediatly check the temperature afterwards and post that imnormation here
This program will stress your GPU and raise it's temps to it's max. It'll show inform us if the GPU is the culprit.

If your card is indeed overheating you have a number of options
  • If it's the card I'm thinking of, you can downclock the memory from 950MHz to 900MHz (if you don't know how to do this, just let me know)
  • Improve your cases airflow by adding more fans
  • Buy a after market GPU cooler. Be cautioned, this does void your warrenty and if done wrong you could kill you card. I don't right, you will have outstanding results with the right cooler.
James

This is the instruction asked by James, you might want to run it :)
As I can see from the video, (I dont have speaker as I'm now in cybercafe so I cant hear your voice) is the 60C is your temp while playing games? that's quite low temperature for 8800GT at load.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
It was 60 degrees while in game and when it crashed it was around 57. It doesn't make sense that its overheating.

I'll run that program now. Then I'll run another memtest on my RAM because I'm not sure if the first one ever completed.

Edited by muffins, 20 December 2007 - 04:04 PM.

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
if you want to use memtest86 (or memtest86+) to test your ram, make sure it completed at least three full loop before we can rule out ram as the culprit :) but that's quite take some time..

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
edit

somehow i tried the beta driver is not stable.. dont use it..

Edited by fenzodahl512, 20 December 2007 - 06:28 PM.

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Oh boy...I just got done running the rthdribl program. I let it run for a good hour+ (i fell asleep :)) and the core gpu temp was 75c when I checked o_O so....yeah.

I understand that at this point that is actually pretty hot for even this card. There still is one problem:

The video I posted earlier shows me playing World of Warcraft after 20 minutes of gameplay and the GPU temperature is @ 56c. 3 minutes after this (or even less) it froze up. I have a hard time believing the card was consistently below 60c and dropping and then all of the sudden over a 2 minute time span spiked beyond 75c. If that was confusing to read heres a summary - The video I posted shows me playing World of Warcraft for 20 minutes (50mhz underclocked) and right before it crashed it was at 56c. This program I just ran had the card @ 75c (950 mhz) but it didn't hang or lock the pc.

Edited by muffins, 20 December 2007 - 06:31 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi, from my personal experience, 75C on Nvidia card with stock cooler is normal, not considered as overheating.. maybe you need to update to latest official driver, either ones by Nvidia or by the manufacturer.. Is it EVGA?

muffins

muffins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
The card is EVGA. I updated to the latest drivers yesterday (Dec 19th drivers) on NVIDIA's website. I even tried updating the card's BIOS. EVGA has drivers on their website but I don't think they're a different version.