Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading My Pc

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The mobo I like is the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. However, tonight I discovered that the board does not offer support for the GDDR3 RAM, which is on a lot of the newer PCI-Express graphics cards. Another board - the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R - supports both Dual Channel DDR2 and DDR3. Although this board costs quite a bit more.

Whoever said this is wrong.
That motherboard supports any kind of GDDR memory.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 January 2008 - 11:50 PM.

Advertisements

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks, James :)

So the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is a good choice?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes, it's a very good choice.
James

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, after Jame's help here is my udated list of goodies ....

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
CPU Cooler: OCZ Vendetta
- or -
KINGWIN Revolution RVT-12025
(haven't decided yet)
RAM: Uncertain about the RAM now since I was told I don't need the XMS2 variety since I won't be OCing. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Now to find a good graphics card and a decent PSU.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Wait till monday to upgrade, the Wolfdales are slowly tricking onto websites. These are Intel's next generation of CPU's.
The 3.0GHz chip retails for ~210$ and is better then the CPU you suggest in a large number of ways.
While that RAM is indeed more then what you need, it' high quality when the lower quality RAM is roughly the same price.
If you don't plan on overclocking, stick with the stock cooler.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 January 2008 - 01:21 AM.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I may be able to afford this Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM SATA drive. I need another one anyway if I plan to give my mom my old system. And I'll have to find her a cheap PSU.

Here is my udated list of goodies ....

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR 800
Graphics: EVGA 256-P2-N742-LR GeForce 8500GT

--- woot!

Now that just leaves me with buying another monitor (for my new build), and a cheap PSU and an affordable monitor (for my old PC).

Edited by dcloud, 20 January 2008 - 02:57 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Looks good so far :)

I didn't realise you were going with an 8500GT graphics card, if you don't do any serious gaming it should be fine, but you won't get too far trying to run an intensive game.

Also I would recommend Vista, but that's entirely up to you again :)

Troy

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have no interest in games; that's why I have a game console. As far as the video card I didn't want to soak a lot of money into a card with bells and whistles I'll never use. Vista, same thing - a whole lot of stuff I simply don't need. I did my research, reviews, blah-blah-blah, until finally it made more sense just to get XP Home. I figure let Vista work out all its bugs and then if I want to later I can upgrade to it. I made sure my mobo was Vista-ready, just in case.

I believe my Ultra m998 comes with two 120mm fans already. Would I need anymore, and if so is it possible to mod them in somewhere? Someone recommended these Scythe S-FLEX SFF21 in case I need anymore fans.

Another question I have is the front I/O plate on the m998 is really a removable PCI bracket. Can anyone tell me what other sorts of PCI expansion brackets I could use in its place? I'm unfamiliar with this type of thing.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Edited by dcloud, 20 January 2008 - 04:41 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Get this memory.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145034

Your going to want to change your CPU. With the money you'll save on the RAM you're going to want a new processor just being released on the market.
Tomorrow you'll want the E8400, it'll retail for ~210$ and a fair amount better in a number of ways.

There will be a new I/O plate coming with the new motherboard.
James

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I'm going to stick with the G.SKILL because I'm not into OCing. And the E6750 Core Duo will do me just fine. Now to wait on the money ....

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I'm going to stick with the G.SKILL because I'm not into OCing. And the E6750 Core Duo will do me just fine. Now to wait on the money ....

Your much better off getting the 2GB of RAM and spending the additional money on the E8400.
You'll see a performance gain with the E8400, but you will not see a gain with G.Skill memory.
My suggestion has nothing to do with overclocking purposes. :)
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

that's why I have a game console.

*stettybet0 fires up Crysis with his custom Ultra High config... then laughs until morning. :)

I agree with everything James said.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
James, you are right again. I just found out from the spec sheet that the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L does have support for the new 45nm processors. Also, there's an article on AnandTech that says the E8200 may be priced around the same as the E6750 when it comes out. That would definitely make up my mind.

Oh, and after reading some reviews on the GA-P35-DS3L I see that the one Newegg is currently selling is a rev 2.0 board. Cool.

Thanks for helping :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

and spending the additional money on the E8400.

article on AnandTech that says the E8200 may be priced around the same

Notice the differences in numbers here, the E8200 and E8400 are different processors...

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Notice the differences in numbers here, the E8200 and E8400 are different processors...

I'm aware of that, but it's still a new 45nm processor. I figure why get the most expensive one; the E8200 should be sufficient.