Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading My Pc

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
But down the road you'd want the extra bit of power. Remember, by only purchasing 2GB of RAM, you're saving around 70$.
By getting the E8400 instead of the E8200, you'd be spending an additional 30-40$.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2008 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Got my case today. She's quite beautiful. Decided to go for the GA-P35-DS3R and the new E8400. I'm going to need a bottle of Excedrin after all this .... aiye.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Wow ... trying to find RAM for this motherboard is proving to be a pain in the rear. Can anyone offer me any suggestions? Do you own this board and if so what memory is working for you?

I've spent the last hour looking over Gigabyte's memory spec sheet and then trying to find their suggested RAM on Newegg and so far the only RAM I've been able to locate is a 1GB stick of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). At $40 for one stick that's a little too much.

Still searching Google looking for other RAM that will work. Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi dcloud,

I have the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 motherboard which is slightly different in specification, but has the same RAM module slots. You can pretty much use any quality DDR2 800 sticks, I personally have this. Try choosing one from this list. They have excellent rebates, making them nice and cheap :)

The Memory Spec Sheet on the Gigabyte website is really just a guide as to what Gigabyte themselves have tested, not the only options.

Cheers

Troy

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks, Troy :)

I just about have everything nailed down that I want to get - Gigabyte P35-DS3R, Q6600, PCP&C Silencer 610, and I got an awesome deal on this Diamond Viper Radeon X1650PRO for $55 (plus $20 mail in rebate makes it $35!).

Funny you should mention GeIL. I have this GeIL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) on my list, which is getting shorter all the time. I guess I'll have to settle for one of them soon.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok gang, my stuff is starting to arrive. I finally settled on 2GB of G.SKILL and a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme HS with a Scythe fan (for my Q6600). I also ordered a Lite-On SATA DVD burner so there are no IDE devices in my case. I'm going to be taking some pictures as I put it all together. If you would be interested in seeing these just give a shout here.

Thanks again to everyone for their great help and advice. It's been a blast. :)

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, like a proud Daddy I present pictures of my new baby :)

drum roll please .......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was hoping for a little less cable clutter, but some of the connections on the board are in weird places. No modular PSU, but I don't really care about that. There are some power loss issues with modulars anyway, and the PCP&C Silencer makes up for this by being a solid workhouse.

Did some adjusting in the BIOS (turned off SmartFAN and changed setting to Voltage for 3-pin fans) now my core temps for Quad are 26/27/22/26

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Hmm..

i suggest using some cable ties O.o

they are pretty cheap.

or you could go to your local supermarket and by a roll of string XD

I'm using velcro in my system to secure the wires on my new PSU. ill try and give some pics if i can to tell you what i mean

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 14 February 2008 - 04:25 PM.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have some Belkin Velcro ties I'm going to use. Like I said the connections on the board are in weird places so it makes it tough to tie everything out of the way.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
heres what i mean (sorry for huge images)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i like my thermaltake PSU..

and Mushkin RAM (that my dell cant support :)) stupid dell.

I learned a trick while reading on the Webs..

You could get some MOBO risers/standoffs and elevate the mobo. Making room underneath it to run cables.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 14 February 2008 - 04:29 PM.

Advertisements

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have the Ultra m998 case which has plenty of room and a cable managing bar (although I can't figure out how it works). Like I said some of the connections are in odd places so it makes it tough to get evrything out of the way, but I'm going to try.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Cable managing has got to be one of the boringest things in Comp building/modding.

have fun!

and try the Standoff idea. it might work.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I just had someone in another forum suggest I plug my fans into the PSU with a fan adapter. Never heard of that before.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I dont know.. it just looks like adding more wires...

what exactly would you use it for?

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Well, he said that large 120mm fans shouldn't be running off the mobo at all, because there's a really good chance it will fry a trace in the motherboard. So he suggested that adapter, which I just plugged my front case fan into (I had one come with my Scythe fan) and now it works! I'm going to order some more and plug all my fans into these. Much better to have them running off the PSU anyway because then the BIOS doesn't screw with them and they can run at 100%.