Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp won't install

• Please log in to reply

ecksteinj

ecksteinj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I started a clean install of windows xp with sp2 and before it loads for the first time to install it freezes on the windows logo screen. It doesn't start in safe mode either. I already had xp installed on my computer before and worked just fine, but it wasn't a legal copy so I couldn't download SP2. Now with this new CD it won't get past the logo screen.

The only piece of hardware I have that is more than a year old is my video card which I suspect might not be compatible with the driver compatibility program, however it worked with my previous windows setup. Is there that big a difference with SP2 that now it would completely halt the system?

Edited by ecksteinj, 19 April 2005 - 04:44 PM.

Advertisements

jdm

jdm

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi, I had the EXACT SAME problem. By the way, I use SBC Yahoo! DSL to connect to the internet.

Third time was a charm. I had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of times before SP2 would "take." I know it shouldn't be that complicated but you may want to uninstall SP2 and reinstall.

My screen froze up after the install and subsequent reboot, too. How frustrating, I can relate, trust me.

If you use SBC to connect to the internet, such problems with SBC/SP2 have been well-documented.

Out of curiousity, is your ISP SBC Yahoo! as well?

Kind Regards,

JDM

jorgeg18

jorgeg18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ecksteinj hey man, i have the exact same problem, im installing xp from a cd that has SP2 included, and freezes at windows logo in the installation process, have you found answers to this problem??

or anyone, its kind of urgent,

thanks

ecksteinj

ecksteinj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
All you have to do is upgrade your BIOS. One that doesn't support windows xp SP2 will cause it to freeze at the logo screen. upgrades should be free with your motherboard manufacturer.