Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build-- newbie questions

• Please log in to reply

Brin7

Brin7

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys, I just finished building my first PC. I plugged it in and I see this screen. I figured I'd pack it up for the night since I'm not sure what to do next. Should I load the disc that came with the motherboard next or my operating system (vista 32bit) ? By looking at this screen is my hard drive being recognized ? Its a Sata drive and I don't see it. How come some of the USB are 1.1 shouldn't they be 2.0 ? Remember I'm new at this be easy on me . Thanks

Posted Image

Advertisements

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
All that stuff is normal, you should see your hard drive higher on the screen, and load you Vista disc first, although i do recommend you check out a few settings in BIOS(pushing the del key[usually] while you see the boot screen[usually a logo of some kind[it should say the key to press for BIOS(it might say setup) under it]

When changing BIOS settings usually you should change only things you understand, and turn on SMART by the way it helps tell you if your hard drive is faulty.

After you mess around with BIOS settings put in your vista disc, once it's installed put in the disc that came with the mother board and load the drivers from that then you should go online and download the latest drivers for your stuff(video card, sound card etc..)

Also disk boot failure just means it cant find a disk to boot from(hard disk drive or a disc in the optical drive[cd/dvd drive]) once you install vista it shouldn't happen, and if it does it means the hard drive may be faulty.

Edited by zoneykid, 19 December 2007 - 09:30 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

After you mess around with BIOS

No, do not mess around with the BIOS. By all means, enter the BIOS and have a look around, but do not change anything if you are unsure.

I do agree with zoneykid on two points, though:
  • Enabling the SMART status for the hard drive, this should be the only thing you need to change for now.
  • Installing Vista first, then the motherboard drivers (and other drivers as need be).

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Try looking into the BIOS to see if your hard drive is detected. Also even if it does recognize the hard drive there is nothing to load from it, therefore you must change the priority to boot the CD ROM first so that you can install Vista. Insert the Vista disk and once installed properly then you insert the Mobos CD and install drivers. There is an automated install feature in the Mobo CD so it will be faster. Refer to HERE on instructions that will install Vista.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 20 December 2007 - 06:54 AM.

Brin7

Brin7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I loaded vista and all the up to date drivers . Everything seems to be running smooth BUT AM I UP TO SPECS ?? These numbers don't seem right . I appreciate your help guys .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Antec 900 case
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Thermaltake Toughpower 650W
ASUS Black 20X DVD SATA

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
This is nothing to worry about. It is caused by SpeedStep, which automatically slows down your system when it is idle to conserve electricity. If you want, you could disable it in the BIOS.

However, one thing that is not as fast as it could be is your memory timings. This are defaulted to high (slower) values on your motherboard to insure compatibility, but you could easily lower then to the recommended levels. To do this, in BIOS you want to change the RAM voltage to 2.2V, the tRCD to 5, the tRP to 5, the tRAS to 15, and the tRC to 20.

Edited by stettybet0, 22 December 2007 - 10:53 AM.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I know this is kinda off-topic, but what kind of temps are you getting with that CPU + case? I have the same 2 ordered.

Brin7

Brin7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I know this is kinda off-topic, but what kind of temps are you getting with that CPU + case? I have the same 2 ordered.

According to EasyTune5 (free program that came with mobo) system 28C/82F cpu 15C/59F

I love this case . It looks great! I added the optional fan on the side panel . I was running Crysis everything on high and the temps barely went up. The game was running very well. You'll be happy!

Edited by Brin7, 22 December 2007 - 01:58 PM.

Brin7

Brin7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry double post................

Edited by Brin7, 22 December 2007 - 02:02 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Your temperature monitoring program is probably reporting temps 15C colder than they really are (a common problem with Core 2s and some programs), unless your ambient temperatures are about 5C-10C or you are using exotic cooling (phase changing, liquid nitrogen, etc.). Still, 30C is great for your CPU. My E6750 @ 3.2ghz runs about 30C-35C on idle in the same case with an aftermarket HSF, so you are doing alright. :)

Brin7

Brin7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is nothing to worry about. It is caused by SpeedStep, which automatically slows down your system when it is idle to conserve electricity. If you want, you could disable it in the BIOS.

However, one thing that is not as fast as it could be is your memory timings. This are defaulted to high (slower) values on your motherboard to insure compatibility, but you could easily lower then to the recommended levels. To do this, in BIOS you want to change the RAM voltage to 2.2V, the tRCD to 5, the tRP to 5, the tRAS to 15, and the tRC to 20.

I can't seem to find the tRC (row cycle time) setting in my bios. Does it have a different name sometimes?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Nope, but it is the least important of the ones i mentioned and some mobos don't give you options to change it (and some other less important ones).