Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Install Problems...

• Please log in to reply

kutub

kutub

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I was trying to install Win XP PRO w/SP2 on a 20GB hdd and after formating the hard drive it started to copy the files and after copying about 57% an error popped up (Setup cannot copy the file "wininet.dll") first I tried to retry but no luck so I tried skipping the file and it finished copying the rest of the win xp on the hard drive & it rebooted once as it is suppose to and after getting the Windows XP logo screen of the windows startup went to a blue screen and it quickly flashed some error (operation failed - it was too fast to read the details) then the system keeps rebooting but it loads up to the point of getting the windows startup logo and then goes to a blue screen and reboots again... I have tried reformating 3 times with the same process of retrying and skipping also but the same thing again systme reboots by itself over and over again... is there any ways to stop the system from rebooting and loading windows from hard drive?

Thanks,
Kutub

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
aha.... have you tried another XP CD ?????? I don't know exactly what this file does but I am sure it's important to system....you can try get one from anywhere and paste it in "C:\Windows\System32" where c means drive where you installed the XP.......

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

have you tried another XP CD ??????

The most likely problem was that the CD was scratched and could therefore not red and copy the file. I would follow the instructions below and see if it fixes the problem.

Download a copy of wininet.dll from here. Also Unzip it to your desktop or a place you can easily access.

Then reboot into Safe Mode by continuously tapping the F8 key as soon as the computer begins to boot. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. Copy and paste the wininet.dl into the C:\windows\system folder.

Try rebooting the computer (normally without safe mode) and see if you still get the blue screen.

I have tried reformating 3 times

When you reformatted, did you also have to ignore the wininet.dll error? If that problem didn't happen, the constant rebooting isn't wininet.dll fault.