Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer taking about 16 minutes to fully start up

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've very good at keeping my computer spyware free, I have ZoneAlarms Security Suite running and daily scan my computer with Registry Mechanic, Spyware Doctor, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Tune-Up Utilities and AVG Anti Spyware. My PC is running on 512 MB Memory, and about 112 GIGs of Free Space on my computer (Out of 250) .

When my computer is starting up, it shows the Windows XP welcome screen for way too long, than finally I see my desktop pop up and just my desktop for about a minute. Usually about than I hear a loud fan noise coming from the tower, like my computer is trying to process a ton of programs. finally after about 3 minutes I start to see the start menu ect. From there it starts to actually load up the programs, which again is another 4-5 minutes

Why is it taking this long? Its literally about 15 minutes before I can actually use the PC. I'm about to run the Disk Defragmenter program, see if its any difference.

Edited by Charliee03, 20 December 2007 - 02:55 AM.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
There are multiple possibilities:

1.) Lots of startup programs.
2.) Custom startup settings (eg: custom startup background, etc)
3.) Malware

These are a few of the most common problems.

Solutions:

1.) Clean out programs you don't need to use at startup.
2.) Revert back to the normal startup BG.
3.) Use an online scanner (HouseCall or ActiveScan), and if problem still persists, try using the Malware Removal Forum.

Disk defragmenting does not have anything to do with XP's login screen lag. It only deals with how fast you are able to access files (open a JPG, a program, etc).

If the steps above doesn't help you, then post back.

~Kelvin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use msconfig

1.Click Start, click Run... type Msconfig... and then press Enter....

2.Click On the Startup tab, you'll see a list of all the programs and processes that are set to run when Windows XP loads....

3.Speed up your overall start time by clearing the check box next to any item you think you don't need....
for a desktop this means everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall..
a laptop is different..you will have to do a Google search for every item to see if it's necessary ...

4.Click OK... and then restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
when you get to your desktop you will get a box telling you that you have changed the way windows starts...DUH..
put a tick in the box don't show this again...

Edited by happyrck, 20 December 2007 - 09:33 AM.

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I agree with happyrck at point : 1.Lots of startup programs
as I see .... you have many tools that run at startup: AVG, Tuneup, ZA, ......
anyway, I think you should use "Tuneup" to see the list of startup instead of msconfig becouse as I know there are some appz that run with startup without any detected by msconfig

in the main menu of tuneup choose "tuneup startup manager" disable what you find it unnecessary to be at startup
and I recommend to use WinPatrol for this job ...it's awesome ....it can detect everything can run with startup and show you the secret services and appz that run
download URL : www.winpatrol.com

and under startup programed enable the options : "Display Secret Startup location"
{warning}..... after enable option... don't disable or remove thing you aren't sure about