Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to import .mpg video files into Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply

adai2020

adai2020

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I had captured some video clips using a Sony HDD Camcorder DCR-SR300E. I downloaded the clips into my computer and the downloaded video files in my computer have extensions of .mpg . I can play the files in Windows Media Player. When i wanted to edit the clips i tried importing the clips into Windows Movie Maker but everytime the Windows Movie Maker gives me the following error message :

The file C:\Documents and Settings\u0606465\My Documents\Camcorder Movies and Pictures\12-16-2007\20071215162808.mpg cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

Hence i am unable to import the video files into Windows Movie Maker. I have already done the following in my Windows Movie Maker but yet no difference:

Go to "Tools"
Go to "Options"
Go to "General" Tab
Click/Check on "Download codecs automatically"

I did the above so that uninstalled codecs will be downloaded automatically, but still i cannot open import my video files with extensions of .mpg into Windows Movie Maker as i keep getting the same error message as above.

Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Thank you.

Advertisements

breezing

breezing

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Spam Removed

Edited by Kat, 24 January 2008 - 12:49 AM.

Duggy767

Duggy767

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem only my computer says there are too many events to fire from. I really really WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO DO but i need some help please. thank you

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I had the same problem and resolved by finding out what codec was used for the file AND what codec are installed on my computer.

Go to http://<strong class.../span></strong>

Also http://www.free-code.../size]</strong>