Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control Panel has disappeared from Start Menu

• Please log in to reply

kepayne228

kepayne228

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
The computer was having virus/spyware/malware issues so I ran the removal programs to clean it up but I cannot access the control panel anymore. The option for it has disappeared from the start menu.

Advertisements

terminator2

terminator2

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi kepayne228! Try this, right click an empty space on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, then click Properties. The Taskbar and Start Menu Properties box should be displayed at this point. Click the Start Menu tab, make sure the Start menu circle (not the Classic Start menu) has a green circle in the middle of it and click Customize... then click the Advanced tab and look under Control Panel and see if "Display as a link" has a green circle, if not click on it, then click OK and OK again. It should be there now. :)

Edited by terminator2, 20 December 2007 - 09:11 PM.

kepayne228

kepayne228

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Terminator 2 thanks for the reply but there is no control panel choice there either.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Following posted by Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP here: http://help.wugnet.c...pict585613.html

The "NoControlPanel" Policy if set, prevents Control.exe, the Control Panel executable file, from starting. As a result, users cannot start Control Panel or run any Control Panel programs.

A value of 1 also removes Control Panel from the Start menu, and it removes the Control Panel folder from Windows Explorer. If a user tries to start a Control Panel program by another method, a message appears explaining that a policy prevents the action.

If yours is a standalone system (not a part of a corporate network), then try this:

Click Start, Run and type "regedit.exe" Press {ENTER}
Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor­er

Backup the key by exporting it (from the File menu, choose Export) as a REG file.

In the right pane of the above key, delete the value named "NoControlPanel" (if found)

Repeat the same in this branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explo­rer

Exit the Registry Editor.

kepayne228

kepayne228

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ztrucker,

I am not 100% sure what you mean by these two things:

Backup the key by exporting it (from the File menu, choose Export) as a REG file.

In the right pane of the above key, delete the value named "NoControlPanel" (if found)

Can you please explain?

Thank you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't know how to explain it any better. If you do exactly what I posted, it should work, including saving the entry you are changing by exporting it first. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

If not perhaps it would be a good idea to ask a friend who has more experience give you a hand? Not trying to put you down, just being realistic as I don't want you to do anything you are not comfortable with.

If it still doesn't make sense I can do some screen captures and post them. Please let me know.