Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Two Finger Mousing In Windows

• Please log in to reply

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi all. I was wondering if anybody knows of a driver or a utility that allows you to mouse with two-fingers two scroll with the touchpad on a PC such as you can do with a Macbook. I don't know if such a think exists, but if it does it would be really quite useful. Thank you, Jacob.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not familiar with the macbook method...but do you mean like scrolling your browser windows with the touchpad? usually in the touchpad settings (which are usually tucked into the mouse settings in the control panel) you can assign "gestures" to certain areas of the toucpad (usually the outermost edges of the touch pad) that will let you scroll with the touchpad by touching those areas

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
I think it has more to do with the hardware capability than the driver. The touchpad must be multi-touch sensitive. You could probably plug in a multi-tocuh external touchpad, but I doubt it would be worth it.

XXP

XXP

• Pip
  • 4 posts

i'm not familiar with the macbook method...but do you mean like scrolling your browser windows with the touchpad?

No; it's different; both subtly and radically.

(I came here because this thread showed in a Google search for "windows two-finger touchpad", along with a thread at Coffeerooms that's an editorial about it.)

Apparently it is technically possible with any Synaptics touchpad that is capable of "palm filtering" -- avoiding accidental actions when your palm touches the touchpad -- but it is an idea that (again, apparently) somebody at Apple came up with.

The idea is that if you move two fingertips on the touchpad then the contents of the active window will move along with your hand gestures. Also, tapping the pad with two fingers will open the context menu.

The complete concept in action is fantastic. It instantly makes your mouse obsolete and speeds up interaction with the computer to an amazing degree. Even the annoying buttons on the bottom of the touchpad are obsolete.

Must have! Must have!

This not even remotely the same as "edge scroll". If you haven't tried it yourself, then you can't know what it is. It is that radical.

jacobt

jacobt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
It is radical. It's possible, though I haven't gotten it to work yet on Windows 7. Does anybody know where one could find some alternate multi-touch drivers?

Related article
http://www.mydigital...

Edited by jacobt, 19 October 2009 - 01:32 AM.