Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply requirements

• Please log in to reply

tstarwalt

tstarwalt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently built my first pc using the asus m2n32 sli deluxe socket am2 board, an amd athlon 64 x2 6000 3ghz processor, and 2 512mb nvidia geforce 8600 gt graphics cards with a 500 gb hard drive. im running xp pro and the computer ran like a dream for 2 weeks and suddenly shut off on me one day while playing world of warcraft and will not reboot past the bios screen. i was told that its probably the power supply. im currently running an ultra xfinity 600w. how do i determine whether i need a larger power supply or perhaps i just got a lemon. i have a limited knowledge of computers and ive been unable to attain the power requirements on the video cards or the hard drive. any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

BenB864

BenB864

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Use this to get a rough estimate

http://educations.ne...calc/index.html

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
600W is enough, though be warned that PSU is a bad one.
I don't think your PSU is the problem, but the CPU or hard drive if you cannot boot into your operating system any more. Sounds like either of those failed, the hard drive being the most likely one to have failed.
James