Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot detect HDD's

• Please log in to reply

m00dz

m00dz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all My name is Sean and i seem to have a problem jump up and bite me at the heals...

I have have 2 seagate ST340014a's 40gb connected to my comp...operative word "had"...i have taken them out and unplugged
them to trouble shoot why they are not recognised in bios etc i have tried changing the jumpers on both, different power cords and changing both drives from differrent spots on the ide cable aswell as changing the IDE cable from IDE 1 to IDE 2 and back again

My problem seems to be when i connect 1 HDD to the cable cable and plug the power cord in it seems to keep rebooting my pc as soon as it comes to bios detecting IDE components which i assume is the one with my operating system on, as the when the second one is connected and the HDD has been changed to master it does not even load up bios...please help as it has been a week now and really need to atleast get some files onto a disk

EDIT: I disabled abled my speaker ( internal) as when i connected one or both of the hard drives and powered them up it was making a clicking noise...also i have read quite a few posts on this subject and tried pretty much everything ..some really good advice is whats needed here thanks :)

Desperate

cheers

Edited by m00dz, 21 December 2007 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

m00dz

m00dz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
29th minute bump :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you tell us what happened that could cause the boot failure? Was it after a storm or electricity failure or forced shtdown. This will help us to analyze the situation.

Try to reset the BIOS by unplugging the power cable and removing the cmos battery for about 10 minutes. Reinstall and see if it makes any difference.

If you have another computer at hand try to install the two disks, one at a time, and see if they are recognised. If they do, then you probably have the motherboard finished. If they are not, then the problem is with disks (though it must be extremely unusual to have both disks failing at the same time).

m00dz

m00dz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok first thankyou for the reply, this is my first time posting tech help, so please bare with me, i have done the power thing and taken the battery out etc.... they where fine 2 weeks ago but i started noticing when turning on the PC that the bios done everything it was meant to and when i selected win xp it would start to load then just stop, i would restart a few times then no problems it would boot up, a week later i turned my pc off and then nothing, there was an electrical storm but i had everything turned off, i also took the old girls HDD out of her computer and it would not even recognise that one
with nothing attached though bios loads up and i can access the setup , but the minute i add power to what i beleive is my master when connected it reboots ..consistently and when i add power to the other ( slave i hope ) it wont even load bios ??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The fact that the equipment was powered down during a storm is not enough. The only way to absolutely avoid damage is to disconnect the equipment from the power and telephone wall connectors.

I am not sure I understood your description exactly but what I would do, and you seem to be capable of doing , is to take the power supply unit from the other computer, install it in the damaged one and try to reboot with the disks attached.

If this doesn't help then one, or more, parts are damged: motherboard, cpu, hard disk(s). Just about a week ago I saw a computer that was damaged, in a storm, from head to toes: Power supply, cpu, motherboard, hard disk, all burned.

m00dz

m00dz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks Skeptic i will try what you have said and will let you know how it turns out!