Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maxtor one touch II external drive

• Please log in to reply

oward

oward

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a 200gb maxtor external drive. I haven't backed up in a while, so I decided to do one a few days ago. Since my last backup I replaced my 80gb drive with a 300gb drive. I pushed the button and immediately got a blue screen bad pool header error. I restarted my computer and went through start, programs, Maxtor one touch, and the program started and said it was updating my system, but it ran for around four hours and didn't do anything. I used the chat assistance from Seagate/Maxtor and was told to update my Retrospect software to 1.1. I did and still received the error, but the push button did work and the backup started. After about 10 seconds though I received the error again. My next move was to uninstall and reinstall the software for both Maxtor and Retrospect. I still received the error. I can access all of my files on the drive without any problems, I just can't backup. I was finally told I needed to do a RAM check using the program from memtest86.com and if it there is something wrong do a windows repair. My computer originally came with 1gb of RAM, but I've upped that to 3gb. I'm hesitant to do a repair b/c I have a lot of music and pictures of my kids on my 300gb hard drive and I don't want to lose any of it. Drive is formatted NTFS, usb connection, shows up in device manager, external power supply, and I purchased it earlier this year (2007).

Dell 8300
Windows XP home

Edited by oward, 21 December 2007 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I think you should run a chkdsk.

Select Start > Run. Type in chkdsk <drive letter> /f. (eg: chkdsk C: /f)

~Kelvin

oward

oward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran chkdsk and it ran through three processes and a security check then went off. It didin't give me time to see if there was a problem.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Is the HD working OK now? If it isn't, run chkdsk again. Sometimes it needs a few runs to clear all the problems.

~Kelvin

oward

oward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran it several times on my external drive and once on my C: drive, but still get the same error. I'm thinking about taking out the two sticks of RAM I added and seeing if that makes a difference. Any thoughts?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
What software are you using to back up? The problem might be there.

Also, backing up manually is also a choice. Just copy all files and paste it into a folder in the other drive.

~Kelvin

oward

oward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dantz Retrospect 1.1.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Hmm. Have you installed any software/plugins for anything when this problem occurred?

~Kelvin

oward

oward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, it was working fine until I installed my larger hard drive. I zipped the files that are in the minidump file from C:windows. Would you like to see them? Do you think it could be the maxtor maxblast software I installed with the new drive?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I'm not sure, but I don't think minidump files are required, as those are for troubleshooting (I think), thus not needing any backup. Try deselecting that directory and run a backup.

Also, it may be the Maxblast software. Try uninstalling it and running a backup.

~Kelvin

oward

oward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'll try uninstalling the maxblast software and give it a go and post what happens.

oward

oward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No luck with uninstalling the maxblast software and the backup working. It went to blue screen, just like the other times. I'm at a loss with this, do you have any other suggestions?

Ozzyb

Ozzyb

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
To be fair it does just sound like a software fault

How are you uninstalling and what is it saying when you try to uninstall.?

you could always try in safe mode to uninstal