Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fedora installation

• Please log in to reply

arpitt

arpitt

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
can any one help me.......... i have a fedora linux but i dont know how to install it. one of my friend told me that if we take any wrong step in installtion the hard disk can become 0 bytes. is it true?
i need step by step installation ( its better for we if snapshotas are too avail)

please help i need it

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi arpitt,

I've been wanting to do this myself for quite some time now, and I just haven't had time. So, i went on a bit of a search for you [and me] and i found this

Seems to be quite helpful, I will try it tomorrow when I have some free time.

Right now I am exhausted :/

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
In a nutshell, you burn the iso that you downloaded to a DVD. Then, boot off of the DVD as you would if you were installing Windows. Next, you should get the installer. It should be a gui and walk you through the installation. Be careful when it comes to the partitioning section, I'm assuming that you want to dual boot, you will need to pay attention to which partition is your Windows partition. *This is assuming that you've already partitioned your hard drive* You will want to select the partition that is not your Windows partition. Once the install is complete, then you should have a boot menu with windows and your linux OS's.

Hope this helps some.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I installed Fedora 7.0 the other day. You want to set aside a few (3 at least) partitions for Fedora. The main partition for the OS, Swap partition (make this about double the amount of RAM you have), and the boot partition (only needs to be like 100mb :)).

With what your friend was talking about, it's possible he may have just been talking about the partitions. During the Fedora install you need to setup partitions and junk, and it's possible for you to delete them all, leaving you with no usable space on your HDD, until you make partitions again.

Just a word of warning, when I installed Fedora, I think i messed something up, as it managed to delete all my NTFS partitions, rendering my Windows useless. Thankfully I'd just installed it as I was doing a clean install of everything.

Installing:

While I can't give you step by step instructions, I can give you directions for the first few steps.

First things first, obtain a copy of the .iso file. And ISO file is like a direct copy of a CD or dvd or whatever, but in a single file. When you rip a dvd to your computer (or the way I do it at least) it is saved as an iso file, this singular file can then be burnt to a dvd.

Once you have the iso file, you need a program that can burn images. Personally I use ImgBurn. It's a nice free image burning program. I use it for burning my dvd iso's. Just so you know, i've never attempted to burn a bootable ISO thing from ImgBurn, I have done so from InfraRecorder though and it worked perfectly fine.

Next, boot up your computer and enter the BIOS (usually you have to mash the del button while the computer is starting up) and change the boot order to make CD/DVD before the HDD. Put in your dvd and save/restart. A Fedora boot screen should come up. Select to install. it's really quite simple if you know what it's talking about.

Edited by Seltox, 20 January 2008 - 07:46 AM.