Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM not being recognised by XP,opens and closes but cannot be seen

• Please log in to reply

aksterg

aksterg

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Recently my Toshiba SD-M1102 Drive was no longer recognized by my computer. I downloaded the drivers again, but to no avail. AT the moment I cannot see the drive in My Computer, or in device manager. I then opened up my computer and checked whether all the cables were in place - and they were. I then tried as suggested by 'wannabee1' to remove the upper and lower filters in the registry editor. However these files were not in folder specified, so there was nothing to delete. I then tried the 'CDGone' tool, and merged the two given files - but this made no difference whatsoever, even after rebooting. All the cables are fine, but I can't see the drive anywhere in the whole computer!!

I really don't know what to do... :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is the drive seen on the BIOS/POST Screen (where it counts the memory, tells your processor and feeds you a big page of PCI Device Listings)?
If the BIOS cannot see the drive, nothing else will. A new optical drive would then be needed. This sounds like a firmware failure.

aksterg

aksterg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I pressed F2 on startup in order to get into BIOS, and I changed the two options under secondary - from NONE to AUTO - and it works fine!!!! Thankyou so much!!!

However, I hace encountered a new problem whereby this Toshiba SD-M1102 DVD Rom drive keeps opening up, and everytime I close it again - it comes back out after a couple of seconds!! And therefore it cannot read any CD's...
At startup it opens and i cannot finad a way of keeping it shut so that it can read CD/DVD's...What shall do?

Started new thread for new problem: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Cd-drive-keeps-opening-up-even-press-close-opens-afte-t180782.html

Edited by Excal, 22 December 2007 - 10:00 AM.