Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to find out Broadband supplier

• Please log in to reply

charliemacisaac

charliemacisaac

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Good Evening,

I've just moved to a new flat (with in a block of twelve) and I've contacted BT to try and get my line activated just to be told there has never been a line here! However there is a telephone socket on the wall AND a network plug (strange!?). Being curious I plugged in a network cable and boom....internet! It all seems to be working well (hence I wouldn't be able to do this).

Now being a good honest pillar of community (cough :) cough) and more importantly wanting a stable internet connection I'd like to find out who is supplying this connection. The usual local supplier said there isn't even a line!

Also there seems to be a router on the network!?

I must admit I'm really confused and would like a little help trying to find out who is supplying the broadband and was hoping there was some kind of search thing I could use to find out.

Many Thanks

Charlie.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There's a possibility that the service is being provided by the people you have rented/leased your flat from as part of the normal service and not necessarily from BT. Maybe check with them to see if it is true.

Ron

charliemacisaac

charliemacisaac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well at the beginning of the lease I asked about whether bills were included and they stated that the Water and council tax was included in the rental rate and specifically electricity and comms lines were not included.

Besides I asked a neighbour and they said no!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If the neighbor said no then I take it they do not have the hookups in their flat as you do in yours such as the ethernet connections? I would try to follow this out if possible as it may be a left over install and is due to expire or, being paranoid here, a set up to trap and monitor any computer traffic including searching for files on any PC connected.

I definitely would be looking by trying to follow the cable path, checking outside for a DSL/Satellite or what looks like any cable connection coming into the flat complex from nearby local poles. Could be even be a buried installation. Wish I was there as it's got my curiosity up. :)

Ron

charliemacisaac

charliemacisaac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Gah that doesn't sound good :)

I didn't think to ask whether they had similar ports or not. Its a bit late to ask now as it is.

In regards to er "following it out" I'm not sure thats going to be very easy. I'm on a top floor flat (3rd) with decent windows inside my flat that you can see the outside wall from.

When its light I'll check to see whether theres any wires coming out of the flat although I'm sure there isn't a pole in the back yard!

You've got me worried now :) although I'm sure its nothing to worry about! There was a guy living here before using the same port. He left only a few days before I moved in.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't mean to worry you as it was just a thought since no one else is coming up with where the service could be coming from. Take it you can't get the cell phone number of the previous tenant (provided they had one) to ask about connection?

I figured the tracing of the cable itself may be hard if you don't have access to it very far. There are companies that use small wireless antennas with their service that mount on the roof or some small convenient spot. I don't know about your country, but here, the cables are easy to spot as they run lower on the electric poles, have boosters and drop down boxes ever so often.

Good luck.

Ron

charliemacisaac

charliemacisaac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK well tracing it will have to wait till its light.

I should add to this little story though. When i first moved in I thought I'd check if there were any wireless ISP's in the area. I managed to find a wireless network with no password and i managed to connect to it. I grabbed a few numbers off the net for proper broadband companies and disconnected.

After calling BT (the main comms company in the UK) to see about activating the line so that I could sign up to my preferred ISP but I found there wasn't a line installed. Curious as I was I connected the ethernet thing up and bingo.

Once I connected though a new device appeared in my Network Places and it so happened to be the same device that I connected to wirelessly (same IP or MAC address - can't remember which one...maybe both!).

I assume from the gist of your responses there isn't way i can query the connection the find out where its coming from?

Many Thanks

charliemacisaac

charliemacisaac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
O and to be sure the cable isn't so much a cable - its a network socket in the wall like you'd find a normal telephone socket. It goes straight in to the wall. So its not so much as tracing it. I can unscrew the panel and check the direction of the wire and see where it goes and then have a look outside. If it goes into the wall cavity for some distance then I'm screwed about figuring out where it goes!

EDIT: O and in this country I *think* most of the wire are underground. Certainly in London anyway.

:)

Edited by charliemacisaac, 21 December 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are public Wi-Fi access points in the UK but at the moment they're few and far between.

A simple solution for the issue of the mysterious broadband access is to hang on for the next bill to come, as that'll tell you exactly who's providing it.
Alternatively, a trip to http://whatsmyip.org/more/ (while connected to the broadband service that you apparently don't have) will give you an IP address and that'll give you an idea as to who's providing the service because it doesn't come out of thin air and its not attached to the line by BT unless its specifically ordered by the customer at the address at the time. It's most likely the previous occupant either forgot to cancel the broadband to transfer it or the provider have screwed up (not the first time).

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 December 2007 - 04:06 PM.