Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

prompt move while I am writing

• Please log in to reply

fonsy

fonsy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello

I have windows XP with all update and office xp also with recently update in my laptop, I really do not know if this happen by the OS XP or Office outlook

The thing is when I am writing a email in outlook or letter in words, or just writing in this forum, suddenly the prompt was moved of position and start in the beginning of the line again, making me do a misspelling

I ve been with this problem like some weeks and I don’t know how to fix it

Any suggestion???

Advertisements

TotallyCalifornia

TotallyCalifornia

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sometimes I have a similar problem with my laptop. Almost always it is because I accidentally touch the trackpad with my palm, or sometimes get too close to it.

Look to see if your Mouse Control Panel has tabs for trackpad extensions (like Device Settings if you hacve Synaptics). If so, look for touchpad settings, then look for sensitivity. You can adjust for a less sensitive setting, and hopefully your problem will go away.

fonsy

fonsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sorry, but that is not the problem, if you touch the mouse the cursor wont move to the begining in the text that you are writting, the only way the cursor move by the mouse is clicking the left mouse button or trackpad, my laptop is not like those new that are sensible, I think the problem is with XP or Office, this is happening repeatily in one text wrote

thank you any way

TotallyCalifornia

TotallyCalifornia

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi fonsy,

I just did the same upgrade with Office XP Pro and Office 2003 on my laptop, but don't have the same problem.

So, it happens in Word, in Outlook, and also when adding text in the forum in the browser. The last item seems to rule out Office as the culprit. So there's Win XP and its drivers, or maybe you have defective hardware.

Take a look at your keyboard and mouse (trackpad) drivers, and make sure they are up to date. Look under System Properties : Hardware : Device Manager and make sure that the drivers are loading properly (no exclamation points allowed!).

Also make sure that your Home key isn't sticking, or has something lodged underneath. That key could make your cursor jump to the beginning of line.

As an experiment, you could hook up an external keyboard and mouse. If it still happens with those, it's a software problem; if not, it could be hardware. Have you tried that?