Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fried a small cable in my Acer L100 need IDing

• Please log in to reply

z.neocide

z.neocide

• Pip
  • 7 posts
It was running from my mobo to my dvd-rom drive. Its a paper thin, plastic cable, which looks a lot like an IDE cable (ribbon cable style). It was held in place by a small snap which locks the cable in place when you close it on the cable end. Any ideas on what it is/where to buy them?

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Do you mean either one of these?:

Posted Image

~Kelvin

z.neocide

z.neocide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Much smaller, it looks about an inch in width and it has no connectors on the ends.

z.neocide

z.neocide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh if it helps, it connects to slim dvd drive. and on the back of the dvd drive it looks like an adapter covers the back and plugs into the an IDE port. It looks like something that might be used in a laptop (The pc is some sort of laptop/desktop hybrid).

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
May I ask, are you using a laptop DVD-ROM drive or a desktop one? Not too sure about your meaning of hybrid.

~Kelvin

z.neocide

z.neocide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
http://www.tigerdire...p;sku=A180-2098

Its one of those slim ones. It dosen't have a tray that ejects, instead you just slide the disc in, like you would in for a car's cd player.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh. I don't really know much about those, but it's commonly seen on Macs. :/

I think you'll need to open your CPU casing, and look for a label that says the brand and model of the drive. Should be somewhere. Post back with it.

If you know how to take it out, you should bring it to a shop and show the tech guy which cable got fried. I don't use those drives so this is all I can do.

~Kelvin

z.neocide

z.neocide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here are some pictures of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Cable.JPG
  • Connectors.JPG

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Not sure about that, but it sure looks like a ribbon. I think you should bring it to a shop to check.

~Kelvin