Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WIRELESS CONNECTION PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

boredinsanity

boredinsanity

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay hi all!
Anyways I own a SONY VAIO VGN-FS920.
Recently got hooked up with DSL. Bought a modem and wireless router both netgear not sure what type of model.
Everything works fine. Main computer connects to the internet perfectly. My sister owns a laptop(DELL running on WINDOWS VISTA) that could connect wirelessly. The problem is that my laptop is not connecting. I mean it picks up the connection and everything but it just keeps doing this: "ACQUIRING NETWORK ADDRESS" it goes off and on. At one point it even said disconnected and the icon on my tray h had the computer with the yellow ball going back and forth.
My ip address is: 0.0.0.0
subnetmask is: 0.0.0.0
oh and which is my mac address? is it the one under ethernet wireless network connection or local area connection?
any suggestions? ohh and i went to the whole trouble of turning off my firewall and everything and it still did the same problem.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Each network interface will have a mac address. If you type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes at a command prompt you will see the info for all ethernet interfaces. The mac address will be in the format xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx.

For troubleshooting purposes, connect it to the router with a cable and see how it behaves. Get that to work first. Not sure how you're trying to connect right now.