Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FireFox is Losing Log-ins

• Please log in to reply

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
For a couple months my FireFox browser has been losing log-ins. It doesn't happen every day, but most days. Sometimes I just lose a few, sometimes I lose a lot. Sometimes I lose them as I'm surfing with the browser open, sometimes I lose them when I close the browser. The last couple weeks I've been keeping IE7 open and when FireFox loses a log-in I go there in IE7 and it's always there in IE7. It's driving me buggy! I'd appreciate if anyone knows what's wrong, or if someone could help me trouble shoot the problem.

I have FireFox 2.0.0.11
Zone Alarm free version 7.0.408.000
AVG free version 7.5.516
Windows XP

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
You mean saved passwords or you're getting logged out from websites sometimes?

If it's saved passwords, select Tools > Options. Go to the Privacy tab.

Under Private Data, select 'Settings...'. Uncheck the setting 'Saved Passwords'.

If it is getting logged out, follow the same steps above, but this time, uncheck 'Cookies'.

Let me know if it helps.

~Kelvin

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm getting logged out of sites. For example, I can go to blingo.com and do a search, logged in. Twenty minutes later I can go back there, without having closed my browser or run any programs besides my browser, and I'm logged out. Sometimes the log-ins stick around for a few days, even tho my browser is closed at night. There's really no rhyme or reason.

I already had both cookies and passwords unchecked under my Privacy tab. Plus, I never ask FF to clear my private data. I use CC Cleaner occasionally plus adaware and spybot, and I know I'm gonna have to log back into a few sites after using those. But I'm losing log-ins just willy nilly without deleting anything the last few months.

I tried uninstalling FireFox twice but that didn't help. But I noticed that when I re-installed it, all my extensions and add-ons were still there. Maybe I need to delete those to start fresh ?? but I don't know how.

Any more ideas?

Edited by SillyLilly, 22 December 2007 - 02:29 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

I use CC Cleaner occasionally

That is probably what is doing it.
There is another program that you can use instead and basically does the same called ATF cleaner and when you run it for Firefox just leave "Firefox Saved Passwords" box unchecked.

ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Oops, I just checked and it is ATF that I use. :)

It doesn't run unless I open it and tell it to delete, so could that be the problem? The cookies disappear even when I DON'T use it.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

Edited by SillyLilly, 22 December 2007 - 04:14 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

The cookies disappear even when I DON'T use it.

Did you mean logins?

Edited by keithr128, 22 December 2007 - 04:35 PM.

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yes, the log-ins. I guess they're not synonymous? Sorry, I'm tech challenged.

I left here to go check my email and when I came back just now I had to log in again.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Cookies are small bits of data that tell a website if you have been there before or not and help load that web page faster.

In Firefox click on Tools then Options, when the menu pops up click on the Security tab and make sure that the box next to Remember Passwords is checked and also make sure that you don't have any of those site that you want your password remembered in the Exceptions menu, which is located on the right side.

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, I think I'm confusing you because I don't know the proper terms. But I don't want Firefox to remember my passwords, I have roboform to fill those in on sites that do not remember that stuff. I want Firefox to keep me logged in to sites like it used to before. Like Geeks to Go always used to remember me. Just today I was here and posted so I'm sure I was logged in. Then I went to check email and came right back and I was logged out, had to use roboform to log back in.

I did check the Remember Passwords and then tried it out, that's not what I want.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
You should just have to check the "Remember Me" box on the login page like in the picture.

Edited by keithr128, 22 December 2007 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I did check the remember-me box. I was logged in when I first came this morning, so the box was obviously checked from the last time I was here. Then I surfed away and when I came back I was logged out. And this happens on dozens of other websites that used to remember me each time. But only in Firefox. As I mentioned before, all these websites remember me when I visit using IE7.

Edited by SillyLilly, 22 December 2007 - 05:46 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
In Firefox click on Tools then Options, when the menu pops up click on the Privacy tab

Try checking the box next to "Accept Cookies From Sites" and set them to be "Kept Until They Expire".

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

In Firefox click on Tools then Options, when the menu pops up click on the Privacy tab

Try checking the box next to "Accept Cookies From Sites" and set them to be "Kept Until They Expire".

I already made sure that box was checked. Not the problem. :) Thanks so much for helping me, I do appreciate it. Any other suggestions?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Removed. Re-read one post (missed one) and you've answered the question.
Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 22 December 2007 - 06:42 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I am kind of at a loss here.
I am doing some research on the Mozilla forums and Bugzilla but I have to get up at 2:30 tomorrow morn and need to get some sleep.
Here are the links to what I was reading if you want to give it a look, otherwise I wont be able to help out anymore until tomorrow afternoon.

http://forums.mozill...63e446a1b00ff67

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Signons2.txt