Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow connection speed with a 56k modem with XP

• Please log in to reply

Computer dummy

Computer dummy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello I know some computer stuff but I cant fix this. I have a HP computer that had ME on it so I loaded XP on it with ME I was always connecting at about 45.3 with my 56k modem ( I always have connected at that speed) and now since loading XP on my system it wont let me connect any faster then 14.4 (which is what I am at right now) I have tried putting in the advanced tab on the modem propertys the at&fx3 and also tried the at&fx1 neither work. I have also downloaded the xp driver for my modem and installed it and it still only connects at 14.4 I was on the internet with the me at 45.3 before I loaded xp then got off the internet and then loaded xp and so nothing has changed with my modem since I had it working with me other then I loaded XP I have tried everything please help.

Jana

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you probably did not get 45.3...you may have connected at that speed, but it probably trailed off....Win9x never listed actual speed properly.

That said, here's one thing you should do...WinXp is optimized for networking, which means it has a mtu of 1500---dial up works much better with a smaller maximum transmission unit....usually about 576.

Here are some directions on that...

http://www.winguides...isplay.php/280/

Here are some other things you may wish to try

http://ucguides.sava...mizeModemXP.htm

Computer dummy

Computer dummy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there anything else it could be I went to the link and looked and cant find that file so I dont want to mess with that stuff since I am not that good on a computer is there anything else that might help me please I have been not able to do anything on the computer for almost two weeks and really need to get it back up and going I cant even check my email it is so slow.

Jana

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
cant find what? Regedit?

Start > run type
REGEDIT
enter

search for
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

click the +, and what folders do you see beneath it?

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Modem speed depends on many factors
1) Line noise (pick up the phone that your computer's on and press the 1 button. Listen closely. Any crackling, poping, buzing will be "heard" twice as bad by a modem.
2) Modem driver. What type of modem is listed in device manager (control panel -> system -> device manager -> modem). If it says "standard modem" or if there's a ? mark in front of PCI communications device then the modem hasn't loaded properly in device manager. Find the right driver and update. Make sure it's the latest date.
3) Modem firmware - if you installed the modem seperately, go to the modem's website (lucent, 3com, etc) and get the latest firmware. Otherwise, go to HP's website and see if they offer a firmware update for your modem.
4) Most (not all) internal modems are software controlled, these IMHO are very bad to use on the internet. Get a hardware controlled modem (some are external, some are internal). Make sure the package does not say WINmodem.

Good luck!

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
get this program: tune up utilities that is a program that repairs your registry and optimises almost everything. There is a tab called ''optimize and improve'' click that then click ''accelerate downloads and internet surfing'' the program will check all your connections and will optimise them. Also try the other features, i love the program so much i bought it.

hope it works