Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to repair disc using "chkdsk"

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi there, and Merry Xmas

I am aware that I have a disc error, and a check on the DOS window confirms that I have a "dirty disc."

When I attempt to carry out a chkdsk using any of the variations (/f /r/ c:) it tells me, "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system re-starts?" (Y/N)

I select "Y" close down completely and reboot. On rebooting, the message appears, "The type of file is NTFS. Cannot open volume for direct access."

Can anyone help please?

:)

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
According to microsoft's help page you need to download and install the latest service pack. so just startup your pc and run windows update and download/install all updates. you'll probably have to install some then restart then run update again and install and restart untill all updates are installed.

good luck

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for replying. I have always had the automatic microsoft/windows updates turne on. However I checked as you advised, both with Microsoft updates and Windows updates. One update was downloaded, but then both areas informed me that I am up to date with updates.

I then closed down completely, re-booted and tried to chkdsk /f /r c: and replied "Y" to check it on next boot.

It booted up and gave me a similar message, "The type of file is NTFS. Cannot open volume for direct access. Windows has finished checking disk."

Would you have any further suggestion?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Found THIS regarding your problem.

Seems that quite a few programs can keep chkdsk from running.

Also Zonealarm 5 will stop it, as "posted on another site"

More reading: The type of file is NTFS. Cannot open volume for direct access

This from "windowsITPro site": The type of file is NTFS. Cannot open volume for direct access

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks 123Runner. Only thing is none of your links will open for me. Get the white page, "This page is currently unavailable etc...."

Over to you again - sorry

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sorry about the links. I don't know what happened. I verified them before I posted this time. They should all work.

http://www.windowsit...4614/14614.html

http://hardware.mcse...04-7-50223.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823439

This link references quite a few programs that have created a problem.
http://www.eggheadca...ost27391373.asp

pj1115

pj1115

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
If that doesn't work, try running a CHKDSK from the recovery console (CHKDSK C: /P /R) on the XP disk (see 'By CD-ROM' on the linked page), or by installing it on your local disk.

More alternative are to run a disk check from your BIOS, if there's an option to do so, or to install Windows onto a new partition, mount the old partition and run a check from there.

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have managed to fix the dirty disc by downloading an ISO RC and running it. Disk now "Not dirty" thanks for your help in this matter.
:)