Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cd drive keeps on opening up and even when i press close it opens afte

• Please log in to reply

aksterg

aksterg

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello.

I have encountered a new problem whereby this Toshiba SD-M1102 DVD Rom drive keeps opening up, and everytime I close it again - it comes back out after a couple of seconds!! And therefore it cannot read any CD's...
At startup it opens and i cannot finad a way of keeping it shut so that it can read CD/DVD's...What shall do?

help would be much appreciated

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if this is a desktop...
try this...unplug the data cable from the drive... leave power plug in.. bootup the computer and use it for a while. If the door still opens then you've got a bad drive... if it doesn't open then when you reboot with the cable back it does open... then it is being commanded to open with software and that's where you need to concentrate your search....

aksterg

aksterg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanx for that - but what I did is gave the drive a thorough clean and shook it in the process. Out came a small black plastic piece which when I next tried it was fine!! I reckon the black piece was making the eject button to be kept pressed hece the drive coming out...

Thankyou for all of your help..:):D

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Amazing how the classic Etch-A-Sketch solution still applies to electronics made fifty odd years after Etch-A-Sketch.
For reference: Pick it up, turn it upside down and shake it.