Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Rhaphsody safe?

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I enjoy music but do not want to be involved with any thing illegal or that puts malware on my machine

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I think it was kind of like Napster and is legal now. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Rhapsody is legal, does not contain malware and is easy to use. RealPalyer (you have to have it to use Rhapsody) is kinda sneaky, but harmless.
Johanna

Jujuju

Jujuju

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, Rhapsody is legal

weasel_pup

weasel_pup

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I enjoy music but do not want to be involved with any thing illegal or that puts malware on my machine

It is perfectly legal. The business model is that you pay a subscription price that grants you access a huge library of music. It was a merger between Muse music service and Real (I think). I have been a subscriber since the early days, and initially I was skeptical but I've found it enjoyable. It has evolved somewhat over the years, adding features, platforms (used to require its own client browser but now you can access this on any web browser).

Pros: seemingly unlimited collection of music, reviews that seem to correlate with my personal tastes. I wind up starting with an artist I had just heard somewhere, sampled the music, browsed similar artists of similar genre, and wind up wandering all over the place and listening to artists I otherwise would not have known about.

Cons: you don't own the music, so you have to log in every time you want to listen. Can designate only 5 computers to your account (not a problem usually). Some key albums missing or some highly desired artists missing (but it changes so I haven't been disappointed)

So you simply need to decide if, in a year, you wish to budget $12 per month to buy 15 or so CDs, or use the same budget to have access to literally thousands more, and if you really liked the music, you can purchase the songs or whole album, similarly as you would on iTunes, usually at 10% less. In the end, when its time for me to depart this dear world, I won't be able to bequeath a single disc to my children, (would they even want it?) and I'm pretty sure you can't take it with you.

Well, could go on and on, but I hope you get the picture. I think there is a 14 day free trial period. There is no obligation, and you can cancel any time. (no I don't work for Rhapsody) :)

Cheers

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moving to Tech Discussion

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Rhapsody is legal, does not contain malware and is easy to use. RealPalyer (you have to have it to use Rhapsody) is kinda sneaky, but harmless.

Rhapsody is perfectly legal, though if it does indeed use RealPlayer.......well lets just say that program is a pain and I find it very annoying.
If I remember correctly, it changes itself to the default player for everything and doesn't like to be uninstalled among other things.
James