Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best practice for 2nd hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

SammyQ2

SammyQ2

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a four year old Dell Dimension with a 40G hard drive, used for home office. I also have an external 200G Maxtor, connected via a USB port. I use the Maxtor as a back-up drive, just backing up My Documents on a daily basis.

The 40GB drive is 85% full and I think I should probably get a second internal HD. I would probably pick a 200GB up at Best Buy.

What would be the best, and easiest, way to use the new drive? Should I simply move My Documents to the new drive?

Or, should I move everything BUT My Documents to the new drive? If so, How do I move XP and all my programs and such?

I would appreciate the guidance.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

SammyQ2
Murphysboro, IL

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If you're gonna swap internal HDs, you can wipe the 40G one's XP installation (or format), and reinstall XP on the new 200G HD you're gonna get from Best Buy. You'll have to reinstall your programs though.

Anyway, formatting your old drive (which means clearing your My Documents folder) doesn't matter, because you said you backed it up to your 200G Maxtor HD, so you can put it back onto the new internal drive easily.

After doing so, you have 2 choices:

1.) Use the old drive as a second external.
2.) Put it aside (don't use it).

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, there isn't really a way to move programs from 1 drive to another. Reinstalling is the only way.

~Kelvin

Edited by Kelvin, 22 December 2007 - 09:57 AM.

SammyQ2

SammyQ2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks.

If I were to ditch the 40GB drive, how do I move all the program, drivers, stuff, etc. to the new one? Is there a tutorial somewhere on that?

Sam

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If you were to ditch it, the only way you're gonna get all your programs, drivers, stuff, etc. onto your new HD is to reinstall everything. There is no way to completely move all your stuff from 1 drive to another.

There is a way to import drivers too, though. Copy all drivers (they are usually in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers), put it in a folder, paste it in your external, then plug in the new drive. Paste it into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers.

~Kelvin