Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a system from what I have

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
This is a compatibility question. I have a Dell Optiplex Gx260.

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep my
monitor,
keyboard,
mouse,
speakers,
2 hard drives,
sound card,
memory (512mb),
and floppy drive,
(and maybe even my P4, 2.53GHz processor card;

but get a new
case,
motherboard,
PSU,
and video card.

ALSO- would I be able to use all of the first items and switch to an atholon system? I'm looking for improved game performance.

thanks for any help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Clutch13

Clutch13

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
First of all can u give us ur specs and wat kind of socket is ur chip

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
What kind of specs would you be interested in?

and I actually do not know what socket my chip is- it's whatever dell uses for optiplexes- where could I find this information?

thanks for your help

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Please correct me if I am wrong but the Optiplex Dell sold to only certain institutions for resale to there students and employees not the general public, so info and manuals are hard to come by.

Yes you can reuse all the things you listed even the cpu, the ram could be questionable it depends on what it is.

Parts that you listed to be replaced would need to be because they are alot of times manufactuer specific and don't match up well, for instance if you tried to reuse the case you could have trouble finding a mobo and psu to fit it unless you purchased it from Dell.

You could also use all the items in the first list and switch to a Amd system and I do recomend doing so if you want a new cpu.

Rick

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thank you very kindly for the fast response!

I've been doing a little bit of research and I have read that AMD clock speeds don't quite live up to what pentium claims, but in actuality programs daily computer activities run much fast on them, and they are much more cost effecient.

It seems that you agree with this, so that's good to hear!
~Matt

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

I've been doing a little bit of research and I have read that AMD clock speeds don't quite live up to what pentium claims, but in actuality programs daily computer activities run much fast on them, and they are much more cost effecient

Well Matt, first realize that I am big into Amd so I am a little bias but yes a Amd 2500+ for instance that stock clock is 1850 mhz in a quality motherboard will perform as good as a intel 2.4.

Rick

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Rick-

I thought about your last response and was just about to ask what kind of AMD would be comparable to what I currently am used to- thanks for the extra info!

So is any of the intel 'stuff' configured onto the hard drives? Or is that all in the motherboard itself? In other words, will the hard drives need anything done to them, or will switching the motherboard not affect that at all?

Also- If I was looking for a budget gaming AMD/motherboard combo, do you have any suggestions?

thanks!
~Matt

Edited by Crunchy409, 19 April 2005 - 09:23 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
When switching mobo's I always recomend at least a repair install of windows that is if you have XP, but I believe it is much better to backup everything and format and do a clean install, others may disagree.

I thought about your last response and was just about to ask what kind of AMD would be comparable to what I currently am used to- thanks for the extra info!

Amd socket A barton core 2500+ or better but I would look into the 3200+ or 3000+ if the 3000+ is a 400fsb. It really depends on what you want to spend.

You may also want to look into a Amd 64 processor and compare prices with the barton core, I am not sure how they compare right now. So I guess you have to do your homework but post back if you have any other questions.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other thing gaming performance does have alot to do with the video card you select so choose carefully and ask others what they recommend.

I am not into the latest games so maybe someone else can help with that.

Rick