Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difficulty installing XP Home

• Please log in to reply

dz63

dz63

• Pip
  • 5 posts
During the installation of XP Home, I get a screen which says:

"Welcome to Microsoft Windows"
"Thank you for purchasing Microsoft Window XP."
"Let's spend a few minutes setting up your computer."
"To continue click Next"

but... the "Next" button is not visible. It is below the bottom of the screen. See attached photo for referenceIMG_0454.JPG

My video card is a 3DLabs WildCat 4110AGP Rev0 MSMT661.

What is the best way to proceed?

Edited by dz63, 22 December 2007 - 03:11 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Adjust the zoom/pan functions on your monitor to shrink the picture and bring everything back into focus.
On older monitors this is often done by twiddling some knobs under the front of the main screen, newer ones may use on-screen menus.

dz63

dz63

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried the monitor Zoom/Pan with no luck. Next, rebooted computer and installed video driver from softpedia.

http://drivers.softp...ro-Driver.shtml

Changed to 32 bit colour + highest resolution. This shrunk the size of the screen on the monitor, but still no Start menu bar. The start menu is off the screen somewhere. If I left click anywhere on the screen, nothing happens. If I right click, I get the menu shown below:

IMG_0455.JPG

When I click on Properties on this menu, the hourglass appears momentarily but the menu to change the properties is off the screen somewhere.

What should I try next?

dz63

dz63

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I rebooted in safe mode. Selected Administrator and then got this menu.

IMG_0458.JPG

After that I get a screen that says

"Safe Mode" and " Microsoft ® Windows XP ® (Build 2600)"

IMG_0459.JPG

Not sure what to do next? Any ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All the signs are pointing to an issue with your monitor. It may well be the monitor doesn't like working in 800x600 screen resolution, which unfortunately is a minimum these days for XP.

Just out of interest, press the key with a Windows log on it on your keyboard when you get to your second screen in Safe mode and see what happens. If you get the top half of the Start Menu, your monitor is chopping far too much off the screen and an easier solution would be to replace it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
As Neil said, your monitor is either defective or you have not adjusted the height and width to make the displayed window fit within the boundaries of the physical dimensions of the display.

If you can't adjust height and with using the controls on the display, then try a different display. Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend just to try?

dz63

dz63

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Guys - I really appreciate your help. I am tying to get this computer working for my 8 year old son. It is an older Dell Precision 420 computer from work which had Windows NT installed. I am trying to upgrade this computer to XP Home.

When I press the Windows "logo" button in safe mode, here is what I get:

IMG_0460.JPG

Under the control panel, Display Properties, Settings, I find that the resolution is set to 800x600 and color quality is set to 24 bit:

IMG_0463.JPG

The monitor is a Viewsonic Optiquest Q71. See link below.

http://www.viewsonic.../optiquest/q71/

Their specs state:

"1280x1024 maximum resolution. Displays a maximum resolution of 1280x1024; 1024x768 at 87Hz flicker-free refresh rate for easy-on-the-eyes viewing."

It appears that the resolution of the CRT should be large enough for the 800 x 600 pixels chosen? Maybe the video driver I found on the internet is no good?

We have several newer LCD monitors in the house. I will try that next.

Edited by dz63, 24 December 2007 - 08:53 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try 1024x768 at 87Hz, see how it looks then. Also try downloading the video driver from Dell here:

http://support.dell..../...tid=&impid=

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Viewsonic has drivers for its monitors also.

Try here:
http://www.viewsonic...ormName=monitor

dz63

dz63

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is the latest:

1) I swapped the Viewsonic CRT with a Dell LCD as suggested and reboted the computer. I still cannot see any of the menus on the screen. The Dell flat screen looks like this:

IMG_0464.JPG

So, I have the same problem whether I have the CRT or LCD installed.

2) Next, I uninstalled the WildCat 4110A video driver and tried installing the "Standard_Monitor_Driver_Unsigned" from the ViewSonic website. After installing this driver, I rebooted and still cannot see the Start Menu. Under the control panel, Display Properties, Settings, I set the resolution to 800x600 and pressed the Windows "logo" key. Here is what I see on the monitor. The menu is cut off at the bottom of the screen.

IMG_0466.JPG

3) Next, I set the resolution to 1024 x 768 and again press the Windows "logo" key. Here is what I see on the monitor. The menu is cut off even worse at the bottom of the screen.

IMG_0465.JPG

These are the only two resolutions that are available under the control panel, Display Properties, Settings menu. The higher I set the resoution, the more of the menu that is cut off. It is almost as if I need to set the resolution lower than 600 x 800 to get it to work, but this option is not available.

I tried playing with the monitor adjustment buttons again. I can move the viewable portion of the screen to the left or right and and stretch or shrink it, but it does not improve the amount of menu that I can view.

What should I try next?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Only two things left that I can see. Try the video driver from the Dell web site I pointed you to and replace the video card.