Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cd burner

• Please log in to reply

jokaman_03

jokaman_03

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i bought a bus link usb hi-speed 52xcd-rw drive and tried to install it. the driver which is external doesn't install onto the computer. it says that i have to insert the windows millenium edition cd which i do not have. it was supposed to install and there was supposed to be a new drive installed because the first one i had installed had installed a new drive and this one didn't. is there any way you can help me install this external cd burner so that it works?

Advertisements

RavenHeart

RavenHeart

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
With win98 and Me you almost always need the install cd when you add new components like cd drives hard drives or whatever if you want the drive to work correctly because 98 and Me don't install all files needed to install components when you install windows... So you should try getting the winMe cd from somewhere or try finding the files windows needs from the cd somewhere else.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

it says that i have to insert the windows millenium edition cd which i do not have.

View Post

Howdy:

If it says it needs the WinME cd then there are files on it that need to be installed..

Suggest you contact whomever you purchased your system from and get the original legitimate WinME cd for your system.

Murray

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
This is a long shot, but worth a go...

Look in the \Windows\ folder on your hard drive & see if theres a subfolder called 'cabs'. Sometimes people who build/sell computers, will place a copy of the cabinet files for the OS in this folder.

If not, try the install again. When it asks you for the windows CD, see if you can direct it to look on the hard drive or let you locate the file yourself. Normally when you ask to locate it manually, it will tell you exactly which file its looking for. When you know, go to the 'find' command on the start button, type the file name in there, select the C drive + subfolders & see if the file is resident on the hard drive.

WinME isn't all that intelligent, (in fact its a pile of cr*p) and it will sometimes just request the CD without bothering to look elsewhere for a system file.