Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Device not detected!

• Please log in to reply

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok so I had to reinstall windows today, I installed service pack 1 and everything works fine apart from the USB Wireless Network Adapter. Right now i'm using my laptop to get online, but I can't seem to get online on my PC! What happens is, I plug in my Linksys Wireless G USB Adapter and it just says to plug it into a high speed usb port or something.. I didn't know what to do so I just used this laptop to download Service Pack 2, and copied it over to my PSP to copy onto my pc and installed it and I now get a message saying This device can perform faster, when i'm expecting that popup telling me to install the drivers. I tried installing the drivers anyway and it didn't work. It's a WUSB54GS ver.2. My printer is detected and it gives me the screen telling me to install drivers and it works fine (it's also usb connected). It works fine with my PSP too. I've tried every usb port on my computer and none work. I tried plugging the USB Adapter into this Laptop, and it gives me the screen to install drivers. Why wont it do this on my PC?

Any help?

edit: When I click the This device can perform faster i get it saying:
- VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
- USB Root Hub (2 ports)
Unknown USB Device
Unused Port

Just thought maybe that'll help

Edited by StealthSoul, 22 December 2007 - 05:06 PM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Sounds like a USB problem to me, maybe it can't tell if you have USB 2.0. Have a look at the following link:
USB 2.0 News and Information

Otherwise, you could maybe try unplugging the USB cable for your printer and then plug in the Wireless Network Adapter, just in case there's a conflict.

Regards,

Ax

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Sounds like a USB problem to me, maybe it can't tell if you have USB 2.0. Have a look at the following link:
USB 2.0 News and Information

Otherwise, you could maybe try unplugging the USB cable for your printer and then plug in the Wireless Network Adapter, just in case there's a conflict.

Regards,

Ax

Not sure if I even have USB 2.0. But this adapter worked great before the install! And I have everything unplugged from the other USB ports and it still wont work.

Update: Just reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1, and it's a no-go. Still getting the same error as before. Tried every single USB port, nothing works. Going to try Service Pack 2 again. But last time I installed Service Pack 1, (Was around a year ago I believe) the same USB wireless device worked perfectly and I installed service pack 2 on that pc using automatic updates, and now I cannot do so.

Update: Just installed Windows XP Service Pack 2, and it does not work, still. It works fine on this laptop, the found new hardware wizard pops up and it asks for drivers.. I have no ideas left of what to try to get this to work!

Edited by StealthSoul, 23 December 2007 - 05:53 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
According to the Linksys web site, the WUSB54GS requires USB 2.0. Do you perchance have a USB 2.0 PCI card in the desktop computer that you should be plugging into. I know this sounds silly but I've done this a few times so I know it's possible.

To know whether the computer has USB 2.0 or USB 1.1. Please follow the steps given below:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties
2. Click Hardware Tab
3. Click Device manager button
4. Left-click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device are listed, then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.

If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller are listed, then the computer has USB 1.1 ports