Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen delay for about 2 Minutes before boot up

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've reinstalled my OS due to several issues with booting up, once hte PC gets to the Welcome screen It boots up just fine, but before it gets to that screen, after it shows Windows XP loading a black screen comes up just shows nothing for about 2 minutes until I finally see my mouse on the screen than it starts showing Welcome to XP, ect. after that its fine, but why sucha long delay?

I have nothing but problems with this computer :)

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm not sure what is behind this problem, but you have to try safe mode to see if this happens there too
and try to look at boot.ini to see if there is anything suspicious ..... try this for now, if I remember anything may help
I will inform you

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The PC still has a long delay when booting into safe mode. I dont know how to check my boot.ini and I really don't know what I'm looking for either.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Are you receiving any errors in the event log?

Go into the Control Panel, look for Administrative Tools, and then Event Viewer. Check under the Application list and the System list for any entry that says "Error". To copy the output here, double click on the error entry and on the right side, you will see an up arrow, down arrow, and a picutre of two files. The last button is the copy to clipboard button. Hit that, and then paste it in your next reply.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
^I don't receive any errors, or anything. I've performed Chkdsk and still this issue occurs.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you added any hardware or software to you computer recently? Did you run a registry cleaner or remove some kind of malware (virus, trojan, key logger, etc.)?

Please try the following, see if it makes a difference.

Control Panel
Folder Options
View
Uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers"

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've done all types of spyware/virus scans with ZoneAlarm Secuirty Suite/ AVG Anti Spyware, System Mechanic, Tune Up Utilities and Registry mechanic .. I've also unchecked that folder and still hasn't solved this issue.

Edited by Charliee03, 24 December 2007 - 04:34 PM.

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I think you should look at boot.ini as follow :

Start ==> control panel ==> system ==> advanced ==> under section "Startup and Recovery" choose "settings"
then "edit"

copy and paste here

I don't know ..... but I suffered from this problem one day...... it was due to bad sectors in the harddrive that XP uses during boot
so not bad to try diagnose your hard with special tools like : Doctor Norton ....... or anything else