Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Problem

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi Guys

This is a strange one:

I have a Win XP laptop with IE7 and Outlook.

About 3 days ago my Mailwasher/Outlook stopped working out of the blue. I can send emails but cannot receive ( the error message is "cannot connect to incoming (pop3) email server"). I did a system restore to a few weeks beforehand, but no joy. Now this is the odd thing, if I turn off my Wireless BT router then turn it back on again, EVERYTHING IS FINE!! As soon as I turn off my laptop, and then come back the following morning, the problem re-occurs, and I have to turn off and on my router to get my emails! My internet explorer is absolutely fine and surfing is no problem.

I called BT and they just went through the motions of resetting the router, and now when I turn on the laptop again, the problem is still there.

My other laptop (windows 2000 pro) also has outlook and that can send and receive with no problem. (Both laptops are wireless). This second laptop is not my main one, its very old and only has 192MB of RAM, which is the maximum it can take.

Is it possible that I have a virus or something causing the problem? If so why can I cure it by simply resetting my router?

I think there's a setting somewhere that needs to be corrected on my laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I think I've solved the problem. I turned off my Agnitum Outpost Firewall and email started working again. So it looks like I just need to play with the settings in this, which I'm sure I can work out.

Strange how this is happening out of the blue after working for years with no problem.

Thanks anyway