Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

COMP RUNNING SUPER SLOW HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Evamarie718

Evamarie718

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer is running soooo slow....I ran a scan from Registry Patrol 3.0 and it said it couldnt clean 150 of 200 issues with the trial version so I bought the program but cant install it because I do not have the unlock code yet. I dont even know if I need that program but I am having major issues here. My computer is running so slow it is taking minutes for a page to load even in im not online, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!! :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Evamarie718...

Sounds like a transfer mode issue by your description. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. In the list of devices, expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. In the expanded list, right click on "Primary IDE channel" and choose "Properties"...click on the "Advanced Settings" tab in the resulting window. This should open a window with one or more devices listed and show the transfer mode information for each.

List for me here, the Transfer Mode and Current Transfer Mode shown for each device.

Repeat this for each Primary channel and for each Secondary channel listed.

wannabe1

Evamarie718

Evamarie718

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh thank you so much for responding, my computer is so hosed up.....it is taking 60-90 seconds for pages to load up!

Device 0 says, DMA if available and Ultra DMA MOde 5 ....and Device 1 says DMA if available....not applicable

Secondary says ...DMA if available, Ultra DMA 2....and second device says Dma if available ....not applicable

Edited by Evamarie718, 22 December 2007 - 09:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that's the Primary channel, it's properly configured.

Is this a brand name machine such as HP, Dell, etc...? If it is, what make, model, and model number is it?

Have you been experiencing pop-up windows or any other unusual behavior on your machine or just the slowness you mentioned in your initial post?

Evamarie718

Evamarie718

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is just really slow, I had an elderly Uncle stay with me over the summer and he was searching alll kinds of stuff lol he would stay on line for hours at a time.....I my pop up blockers set however who the heck knows what he was doing because this started when he was here.....I really appreciate you helping me...I have a dell dimension...not the greatest I know but it has been good to me I have it 4 years its a 2350 ....it only has a gig of memory , but like I said its been fine until the last few months....until today it was just lagging a bit, now its reallllly bad, it took me two hours just to get a friggan picture of my daughter uploaded to a card ..........what a pain, Im ready to throw it out the window...lol I actually had to get up and walk a way a few times, im afraid I just might do it!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A Dimension 2350 isn't that bad a machine...and with a gig of memory, you shouldn't be seeing much, if any lag.

I have to wonder just what and where your elderly uncle may have searched... :)

There are a few things that can cause overall slowness in a machine. Malware is an obvious possibility here and will certainly cause the symptoms you describe. Transfer mode is another...your's is set correctly. Another possibility is a failing HDD. If it were failing, though, I would have expected to see the transfer mode set to PIO only rather than Ultra DMA as you found it.

I think the logical next step would be to have the machine checked for malware. If the machine is clean, we'll have a closer look at the HDD.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Evamarie718

Evamarie718

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks so much....check your mail ....I sent you a message!