Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Display drivers not working normally"

• Please log in to reply

Timbydude

Timbydude

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
My comp. crashed and I got a message informing me that my display drivers have stopped working normally. It said that I should reboot for instructions on how to fix this problem. However, this has happened before and, as such, I know from experience that rebooting the computer at this point would have caused the video card to cease output, as happened with my GeForce 6800 GT. Now, my 7600 GS is going through the same problems. Please help!

My computer has also consistently has very similar crashes whenever I play a game, though this is the first time since my 6800 that the dialog box has appeared again. The video crashes in a way that can be seen on the attached image, a screenshot from World of Warcraft after a crash (it's low quality, but you can see how strange rectangles have been shifted in random directions...I can't really describe it). The sound oddly continues in a 5-10 second loop after the crash, though keyboard input is cut off.

This has happened many times, and I've constantly been trying to find a solution for it. At first Geeks to Go suggested it was overheating. However, a temperature monitor suggested that this was not the case. My local shop suggested that my PSU was underpowered, causing me to end up buying a new one. Didn't work. I really just want to be able to play games on my computer again without crashing (it's a $5000 Area 51 and I want my money's worth).

I ask that you please help me to the best of your ability. I have a feeling that this time, I might finally be able to get an answer as to what's going on. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 122007_16401.jpg

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Try uninstalling your drivers and reinstall it.

~Kelvin

Timbydude

Timbydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Already tried that a bunch; sorry, no luck. :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Let's see.

I'd recommend you to blow out the dust in your CPU using a can of compressed air and see how things go.

Also, while you're at it, it'll help to pull out your graphics card, clean the connectors and plugging it in again.

~Kelvin