Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thirty Second Pause

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I do not really know how to explain this properly so I am going to just give it a try. I have a P4 2.66ghz Dell with 1GB of RAM & XP Home Service Pack2. I use it primarily for websurfing and running my Fantasy Hockey League. No hardcore gaming or anything. Now when I open up the browsers I like to use, Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Netscape 7.1 (dont laugh) I get the following problem. After about a minute of the two programs opening up my computer lags/freezes up for about thirty seconds to a minute. I had originally chalked it up to needing more RAM and upgraded from 256mb to 1gb. This didnt really work. So my question I guess is this. Has anyone encountered any problems like this and if so do you know what it is, or if you havent care to venture a guess?

Edited by BrianR1976, 23 December 2007 - 01:06 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Brian -- this is one of those issues which can be one of several things so a process of elimination is required. First I would run a diagnostic utility on drive C: from a bootable floppy --- this runs independent of Windows and is supplied by all of the major disk manufacturers. You download a small file then create a bootable floppy with it.
Obviously you'll need to know who made your hard disk in order to download from their website, since each makers test utility works only on their disks.

Seagate/Maxtor: 'SeaTools for DOS': http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

Western Digital: 'Data LifeGuard Diagnostic for DOS': http://support.wdc.c...?...=999&swid=2

If the test is okay then you at least know it must be something else and you can check out other possibilities.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Brian, try opening Task Manager, Process tab, then click on the CPU heading twice so it's sorted by CPU usage, descending. Move the window off to the bottom, right of the desktop so you can still see the top two or three running processes.

Now start your browser and when it lags, see what process is using all the CPU cycles. Post back with that info and maybe we can help figure out what is going on.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have no idea who made my HD. Other than cracking the case open is there any way to tell? I would really rather not have to open the computer up because to do so I would have to completely rearrange my room.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I know were pretty much only supposed to do what the Support Staff say but I did what ztrucker did when I restarted and the following things used up alot of the CPU. SYstem Idle Process, syssvcnt.exe, SVCHost.exe, and I think this one may be the culprit, LUCOMS~1exe. It dominated the top of the list for 30 seconds to a minute. Then slowly worked its way down the list.

mountainscout3

mountainscout3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
not to barge in but,,,
nope the one u thought was the culprit, LUCOMS~1.exe, is really a part of the symantic security suite. :):)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have Cox Security? If not "syssvcnt.exe" could be malware. See here for more information:

http://www.file.net/...ssvcnt.exe.html

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I had Norton System Works and one of their Internet Security programs. They lapsed though and now I have Cox and their security stuff. I think I may have fixed the problem. Somehow Live Update was still firing off even though nothing Norton really works (I keep it around for One Button Checkup). I turned it off and it seems to have stopped. I am hoping maybe one of the Staff could possibly verify that this is most likely what the problem was.