Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New hardware to my old system

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to upgrade some components in my system in the next year or so and I need your advise. First I'm looking to upgrade my case, hardrives (if it will make it run faster), possibly the powersupply, and possibly my video card.

First my current system is:
Pow Max Case
Athalon 64 X2 4200+
ABIT KN8 Series
ATI Radeon X800 GTO
PCI Sound Audigy 2 Card
PCI Firewire Card
PCI Wireless Card
5.1 Surround Sound
80 GB IDE OS Hardrive 7200 RPM 8mb cache (seagate)
160 GB IDE Storage Hardrive 7200 RPM 8mb cache (Western Digital)
2 GB Ram (dual Channel) pc3200 (1gig each)
Combo Drive
DVD Burner
500 Watt modular Powersupply (ULTRA X Connect)
360 WD External Hard drive (My Book Premium)

I was looking at my motherboard capabilities, and I am interested in getting SATA150, which I believe is compatible with my mobo. Most of the hardrives out there like this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136012 have faster disk speeds. I'm wondering if that is a good idea to upgrade, or should I wait?

Next I'm looking at is the case. I have been having considerable heating problems, particularly with my graphics card. My case, and my fans seem to not be doing the job, and I have been getting tired with the cable mess inside (partially why I want SATA hard drives). I'm looking at this case: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129021 and http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129154 I like the style, and it will leave room for the hardrives. with my mobo I generally have trouble getting the hard drives in and out, or moving them around, or just plugging things in. The RAM and Power plug get in the way.

Another addition is possibly the powersupply. I have a 500 watt Ultra X Connect power supply, and I am going to replace it only if it is teh cause of the heating issues, or of my video card problems with over heating. And if someone suggest I do so.

And finally, the video card. I have a saphire Radeon X800 GTO. I have been monitoring it using the TRIXX monitoring program that came with it and it has been reading a minimum of 56 degree, and a max of 125 degree (guessing F not C) And on heavy games, like COD4 I get tearing or something, it's where it makes the rain and other thigns turn into brown blocks when it hit the ground and what not. It's really getting annoying, the same thing happens in Age of empires, and BF2142 also, and I never had that problem in BF2142. If I can fix this problem, or if somone can tell me what's going wrong with, they would get my gratitude of life.

Ok, have at it guys... Been having trouble, mainly wiht my video card. I've tried teh cleaning out the case thing, and yes the fan turns, and I'm getting a decent air flow through the case, I have 2 blowing in, 2 out, 1 over the middle, 1 on mobo, 1 on cpu, 1 on video card, I don't think i can get anymore in here. So if it is a sophware problem I would really like to know. THanks for all the help guys, I always go here when I need help with a problem.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 939 platform is limited upgrade wise now - all you're really going to be able to do with it on your specification is stick SATA first generation drives in it. Even then you wouldn't really notice much of a difference. You'd be better off waiting until after Christmas and see what becomes available in the sales.

Graphics problems - update your drivers from ati.com which should sort your issues out, if not it may be a physical problem with the card itself.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Oh, well that is upsetting... well I guess i will hold off until after college to do anything... I'll deal with my video card problems, and probably do a new build when I get a job after school. Thanks for the info, I was wondering if it would be worth doing anything. Well i will definitely be on here asking for more info then, if not before!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's worth hanging on to, but IMO its not worth spending a lot on, bearing in mind you can replace the guts of the computer for the cost of a new graphics card on its own. The X800 is worth hanging on for a bit longer, if a driver issue will solve the problems. It's an older card granted, but its still pretty powerful.