Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply

SkyWierdo

SkyWierdo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, but I honestly have no idea where to put it.

I'm on an exchange in Italy, and I brought along my laptop to keep in touch and updated with everyone. It's a new laptop; I got it right at the beginning of the summer, I think. It's a Gateway MT6707 (I'm getting this from the System info in the Control Panel, I have no idea if this is at all useful or relevant) with Windows Vista Home Premium. And back home we had Linksys wireless and it worked fine.

But when I got to Italy, I tried to use my host family's wireless internet (they use some thing called Alice, I think), but it wouldn't work. We tried installing the software, everything, but it just refused to work. But they're letting me borrow this other router they have, and I had to plug it into my computer. It's got ALLNET written on it, if that helps. The connection drops out a lot, but it works.

So everything was just spiffy, except I'm going to be changing families soon (it's the program I'm with, we switch families every three months), and I have no idea if they're going to be as cool as my current family is with the crazy ridiculous internet stuff, so I'd really like to figure out a way to get the wireless to work on my laptop because, well, I think it's pretty likely they'll have wireless internet.

So basically, I tried to look up the problem, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Is it a problem with Vista? The internet? The computer? Italy? Something else?

If someone could help me with this problem, I would be eternally grateful.

Advertisements